You Don't Have To Do Drugs To Cope With Anxiety | The Odyssey Online

You Don't Have To Do Drugs To Cope With Anxiety

You don't have to drink either

6
Gemma Correll

Hi, I’m that annoying person that goes for runs at 9 a.m. on Sundays. I work on improving my resume for fun and probably scroll more through LinkedIn than I do Facebook. I try to balance 16 credit hours, 25 hour work weeks, my internship and social events. I’m a perfectionist and I’m obnoxiously ambitious. I constantly set unreachable goals for myself both in the short and long term. When I feel like I’m not meeting my own expectations (all the time), I get anxious.

Last March, I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder or G.A.D. It wasn’t really a surprise considering I’ve had panic attacks since I was 14. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are over 3 million cases of G.A.D. a year, with college students being particularly vulnerable due to an onslaught of large life decisions that need to be made within a span of four years in addition to mounting academic and social pressure.

What does a panic attack feel like? For me at least, it’s like I can’t breathe. I can be in a crowded room happily enjoying myself when all the worries I’ve shoved to the back of my mind come rushing forward and I’m completely overwhelmed. I start to cough or hyperventilate. Suddenly I feel really weak and nauseous. I delete my social media apps and turn off my phone for a few hours, because I need to go off the grid. I swear I’m obsessed with making sure people like me. I always try to be that angsty cool girl in her leather jacket that’s like, “Haha, I’m 2 cool 2 care.” Shocker, I care. We live in an incredibly ethnocentric society, however. As in, we all think people are thinking about us when they’re not. Which is why anxiety thrives.

Most people’s anxiety stems from the thought that they are not meeting expectations required of them. This may be from their job, their peers or their education. Or, if you’re like me, all three. When I was diagnosed back in March by a shotty campus psychiatrist, he prescribed me Prozac. I was like “Whoaa buddy, I am not depressed.” But he insisted I take antidepressants. I opted out. While prescription drugs certainly do help those with severe anxiety disorders, I wanted to see if I could figure out another way to help myself.

Instead with the help of my friends, I figured out my own ways to cope with anxiety.

1. LITERALLY CUT OUT UNNECESSARY PEOPLE FROM YOUR LIFE: I wrote that in ALL CAPS because that’s what has helped me the most. In brutal honesty, most of the people in your life are temporary. Your family will of course stay and maybe a handful of friends. But, for the most part, people will come and go as life takes you in different directions. If you’re trying to be friends with someone who ignores you and can’t meet you halfway, say GOODBYEEE. Chances are you’ll find someone else who appreciates your rendition of Ellie Goulding’s “Love Me Like You Do” as much as you do and enjoys pushing you around in a cart in Target at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays (@Claire).
  2. Eating + Sleeping: I could go on and on about my affinity for pizza, but when it comes down to it, what you put in your body and how much sleep you get has a HUGE effect on your mood and ability to handle stress. Avocados are your friend and so is oatmeal and lots of fresh fruit. Learn to cook and learn to be creative with it. Drink plenty of water because when you’re not hydrated, you’re tired and grumpy. The same thing happens when you get less than six hours of sleep. Sleepy time (NOT naptime) is your body’s time to process everything that’s happened for the day.
  3. Yoga: I know it might seem like just fancy stretching, but it’s not. Yoga is a great way to get in tune with your body’s needs, and it’s a great form of exercise. (Yay! Endorphin release!) In fact, anyone who thinks yoga is frivolous probably hasn’t experience hot yoga. Within 10 minutes of hot yoga, you’re dripping sweat and your body is relaxed and at ease. Namaste.
  4. Music: Music is a heal all. Sometimes I take the long way home or just go on drives to blast some Lana Del Rey, Miguel or Gallant (look him up). Music is a great way to release dopamine in the body without having to do drugs. Isn’t that nice?? If you don’t want to drive, go on walks with a Spotify playlist. You can even bring your dog or borrow someone else’s dog if you want a nice companion to chill with. (I’m being so serious. Dogs have scientifically been proven to lower anxiety levels. Dogs are #dope.)
  5. Talk About It: It’s so incredibly stupid that there is such a negative connotation around mental illness. Being mentally fit is harder than being physically fit. You can eat plenty of protein bars and do squats until your ass could have its own Instagram (@jensetler), but you have no control as to what happens to you or who screws you over. Sometimes life just flat out sucks, and learning how to deal with your emotions is a lesson that takes decades to learn. Surround yourself with people who listen and make you see the bigger picture. It’s okay to vent and whine about everything that’s bothering you. In fact, it’s healthy.
  6. Log Off: Getting on social media when you’re anxious is like walking into a Taco Bell when you’re starving. It is not going to end well. Again, the core of a lot of people’s anxiety concerns other people’s perception of them. Social media is literally putting yourself out there and waiting for someone to favorite or like or share whatever you post so you feel validated. It’s kryptonite for people with anxiety. If there’s a lot racing through your head, instead of going on your third Twitter scroll in 10 minutes, delete the app. Delete your Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram any time you feel like you have too much going on. You can always download them again later on. This gives you time focus more on yourself and less on what one of your friends is wearing or their views on Donald Trump.

Anxiety is one of those things that grips everyone at some point in their lives. Life does this funny thing occasionally when things are going perfectly and suddenly every bad thing ever happens to you in the span of two weeks. Your car gets towed. You bomb an important exam. A friendship falls apart. You realize you have no idea what the f*** you’re going to do after college. And suddenly all of these little things build up and you find yourself balled up in the corner of a bathroom crying with your fake eyelashes dangling off your face. Of course I’m not writing this from personal experience. The point is you can’t control your emotions. You can, however, control how you react to them.