12 Dr. Seuss Quotes To Help You Through Life

The best help can come from the most unlikely places.

1627

When I was younger, I fell in love with Dr. Seuss's books because of the rhymes. I loved the flow of the words, the colorful pictures and everything in between. Now, I'm even more in love with his books because of the wonderful messages they send. Sometimes, the most powerful words are hidden in the most unlikely places, so here are a few of Dr. Seuss's most brilliant (in my opinion) excerpts from his books, and a couple of quotes from the man himself.

1. "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

This is life, which means things are going to end. If we spend all of our time dwelling on the fact that things are over, we'll never be able to appreciate everything we got out of them in the first place.

2. "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."

Sometimes, it feels like we live in a world that requires perfection at every turn, but if nobody takes any risks, what's going to change? The most beautiful things can often come from the most nonsensical places.

3. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go." ("Oh, the Places You'll Go!")

Never doubt the power of your own mind. It really can do amazing things.

4. "A person's a person, no matter how small." ("Horton Hears a Who!")

Just a simple reminder that at the end of the day, we're all human. No matter who we are, what we look like or where we come from, we all deserve to be treated with respect.

5. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ("The Lorax")

When something is bothering you, or you don't like the way things work, do something about it! You just might change the world.

6. "All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot." ("Oh, the Places You'll Go!")

Nobody likes to be alone, but sometimes we need to sort things out on our own. Dr. Seuss reminds us that that's OK, and it's nothing more than a bump in the road.

7. "If you'd never been born, then you might be an Isn't. And Isn't has no fun at all, no he disn't!" ("Happy Birthday to You!")

Whenever you start to feel down, just remember how amazing it is that you're here! Always try to look on the bright side, no matter what's happening in your life. Eventually, everything will be okay.

8. "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

The people who can make the greatest difference are the ones who stand out from the crowd. Don't be afraid to grab life by the horns and do something a little different. It may just pay off later.

9. "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ("I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew")

Facing your troubles head-on is far better than running away. So grab your own baseball bat (metaphorical or otherwise) and take a swing!

10. "You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut." ("I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!")

Inside all of us there's a little kid waiting to be thrilled by the next amazing thing we'll encounter. Don't blink; you might miss it.

11. "Only you can control your future."

Of course, there are variables in life we can't always control. But there's one thing we always can: ourselves. In everything you do, and everywhere you go, all you have to do is do your best. For the right people, in the right place, at the right time, it will be enough. So don't give up. Take charge of your own life and do the best you can.

12. "You're off to great places. Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so... get on your way!" ("Oh, the Places You'll Go")

Heed the advice of the final words of "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" and find your mountain. And if you ever find yourself needing a bit of a boost, never forget to look in the most unlikely places. Sometimes, a Dr. Seuss book is all you need to get the motivation to keep moving forward.