Don't Ruin 'Star Wars' | The Odyssey Online

Don't Ruin 'Star Wars'

Three simple rules govern the relationships in the iconic trilogy

39
Don't Ruin 'Star Wars'
Star Wars Wallpaper

Rumors have been circulating: future "Star Wars" movies might contain homosexual characters. Specifically, the rumor concerns the character Finn, a Stormtrooper turned Rebel. I'm not sure if it's gone beyond rumors because I try not to follow spoilers and reveals. In any case, I'm not too surprised, given Hollywood's political leanings, but still, the rumors don't sit right with me.

I grew up obsessed with the original "Star Wars" trilogy — I was first introduced to the 1997 Special Edition, and that's the version I feel closest to. I noticed early on that "Star Wars" is a war and a family struggle intertwined into one movie. It's not about much else.

This is a gross oversimplification of the entire world of "Star Wars," but it's a vital perspective to have. It is particularly essential to the issue at hand: wars have little place for amorous relationships, and neither does the story of Luke's family, unless one of those involved happens to have the last name Skywalker.

From this perspective, I drew up three simple rules that govern the relationships in the "Star Wars" trilogy.

First: The trilogy only includes familial relationships involving the Skywalker family. The audience learns an extraordinarily large amount about Luke's family (his father, sister, aunt and uncle) and minimally, if at all, about the amorous relationships of other characters.

Second: Extending the first point, "Star Wars" goes into depth about the sexuality of only six characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Luke's aunt and uncle and, briefly, Lando Calrissian. That might even be a stretch because, for all we know, Luke's aunt or uncle could secretly have been homosexual.

Third: The trilogy includes no sexual contact beyond kissing and includes no references to sexual activity (heterosexual or homosexual) as far as I can remember.

With these guidelines in place, I will address the issue of homosexuality in the upcoming "Star Wars" movies.

If the homosexual relationship fit naturally in the plot and maintained the feel of "Star Wars," I would have no problem with it at all. That is, it would have to follow the guidelines I listed above. According to the themes of the original trilogy, including Finn's sexuality would only make sense if he were to be in a relationship with a Skywalker (as he is not related to Luke). However, this would be severely limiting, and that worries me: rumor has it that Finn's partner will likely be Rebel pilot, Poe Dameron.

If such a relationship were to occur, it would mark a significant change in the feel of "Star Wars." In other words, the rumored relationship seems very agenda-driven because of how foreign in nature it is to "Star Wars" — it seems as though it was added just for the sake of including a homosexual relationship. Whether you like the addition or not, it should only be there by its own merits and not because society believes it needs to be there for a certain reason. And it is hard to argue on the basis of merit for the inclusion of this particular relationship; in terms of the characters involved, it is unlike any other relationship in "Star Wars."

"Star Wars" fans have faced a long history of unwanted changes in the franchise. George Lucas successfully provoked the outrage of fans by making edits to the original trilogy not once, but four consecutive times, and by attempting to spoon-feed prequels to the fanbase. This chain of abuses has made fans extra cautious whenever the series changes direction. It's not the first time we've been let down, and by no stretch of the imagination will it be the last.

I am not coming at this issue from a position of hatred or bigotry; rather, I just want "Star Wars" to feel the same. The series is not about relationships or the sexuality of its characters, nor is it about showing a survey of general life in the "Star Wars" galaxy. If it were, then including the rumored relationship would be far more suitable. But the series is about Luke's family, the ongoing galactic war and how the two fuel each other. In that light, a homosexual relationship between Finn and Poe does not belong. I mean, unless Poe turns out to be a Skywalker, too.