Disney, Again, Depicts Life As We All Know It

Moana, a small, island girl, must find herself while voyaging into a world far beyond everything she's ever known.

117

Disney's Moana is absolutely a diamond of their creation, from the gorgeous animation to the compelling soundtrack. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend a trip to the theater or to your local Redbox when it hits the public. Besides the obvious heroism and introspective lessons inherent in Disney's past works, this film is the first of its kind to emphasize personal struggle and the internal conflict many people experience - best of all - the protagonist is a female. Very similar to Hercules' journey (it obviously wasn't about finding his family, but himself and his origins), Moana learns about her people through island history and she is compelled to relinquish her rights to the thrown for restoring the island's heart. She is pushed by the ocean's waves, both literally and physically, to leave everything she's ever known and find herself in a journey of self-discovery. She sings in her theme - "See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me. And no one knows, how far it goes." The movie is so rich with lessons, however a common thread is the issue of identity and conforming to the needs and wishes for who others want you to be.

Personal Identity

Moana finds her self in a sea of confusion. The mist of a world beyond her own little island beckons her while she is tethered by the threads of her deeply-connected community. Moana perceives two influences, the needs of her people and the possibility of life beyond what they know, yet she is missing the third which is the calling of the world behind her. Moana's ancestors call her deep into the caves of Motunui where she discovers this destiny - a call to action. Who will she be?

Identity through physical possessions

Maui, a demigod, fits the role of the archetypal hero with his song "You're Welcome" where he proves his generosity through the ways in which he has benefited mankind. "So what can I say except 'You're welcome' For the tide, the sun, the sky." He relives much of his former glory through the "tapestry" tattoos upon his back, but he feels lost without his hook. A gift from the gods themselves, the hook resembles his power and is the only thing which allows him to be great. Maui searches far and wide for his item, but to no avail. Maui struggles with his true self as his desire for love and acceptance is too strong and his identity is rooted in his heroic acts.

Reclaiming one's own identity

Te Fiti is the goddess whose heart was stolen by Maui and consequently lost her identity. Once a thriving island, Te Fiti becomes the vision of Hell as she guards the place of her former home. Lava and fire drip from her eyes and she crawls along the barrier islands to disrupt the return of her heart. It's almost as if she's lost trust in the world and feels bitter about being abandoned. Maui's actions of taking her soul left her void of life and she has experienced this deceit as anyone might with trauma.

The characters must choose whether they'll follow their intuitions and discover who they really are - to return what was lost, accept what lies inside, and discover something they never knew was there.