A Few Ways To De-Stress Yourself | The Odyssey Online

A Few Ways To De-Stress Yourself

...before you wreck yourself

11
A Few Ways To De-Stress Yourself

Everyone always tells you that college will be difficult and to not let the stress get to you. No one ever really mentions how hard it is to get back into the swing of things after winter break. These past two weeks have been very long for me and sometimes what you need is a few silly things to de-stress your mind.

Journaling

Lately, I have been journaling just to organize my thoughts as they jumble around in my head. It really just helps to clear my brain and let me start each day as a new slate with a new agenda. I had always liked to write in a journal when I was younger but I fell out of habit. I'm lucky that my friend randomly gave me one. It has really helped me a lot.

Coloring books

On a day before finals week, my school put on a little event to help ease yourself into finals week. My roommate and I almost immediately went to the coloring station. It was so calming and serene, and it truly cleared my mind. Then over Christmas break, my grandma had coloring books at her house! I felt like I was five again and in all honesty, I didn't care. It was so rewarding to see the finished product. I'm actually pretty proud of what I created.

Doodling

For Christmas, my mom got me these super cool gel highlighters. Lately in class, I have been using them to make my notes look really pretty. It's sometimes out of the result of boredom, however it causes me to remember the notes I took so it's a win win situation. It is just so aesthetically pleasing to me and helps me to forget about any of the issues I have on my mind.

Exercising

My roommate and I have decided to go to the gym at least once a week. Now who knows if we will fulfill this quest, however I am willing to try. We went the other day and afterwards I felt very refreshed and I had forgotten about my obligations. We may not succeed, but we sure as hell are going to attempt!

Calling your best friend/sister to rant

Sometimes if you have just had a weird or stressful day, all you really need to do is rant about it to someone who will accept you. It really helps me let off some steam after a bit of drama or something happens. There will be times I'll be talking for 10 minutes straight without one of them talking. Because sometimes, all you need is someone who will really listen.

Some of these activities may seem a little juvenile, but honestly, do you remember ever being stressed as a kid? I know I don't. Sometimes all you have to do is go back to your roots to get that college stress out of your system. I hope this helped anyone who was stumped of how to not be stressed all the time or if they just wanted some new things to do in their free time.