Cooking Mama | The Odyssey Online

Cooking Mama

This is for everyone that eats food; just keep cooking, just keep cooking.

16
Cooking Mama

Sometimes people wonder why I go to all the trouble to make good food for dinner. They see the preparation and the time that it takes to create these delicious masterpieces, and they honestly don't think it is worth that much effort.

However, I disrespectfully disagree.

Smoked Sausage Pasta

Pan Seared Rosemary Steak, Zucchini and Mashed potatoes

For some people, the idea of this long dragging pre-dinner dance seems like a bit much for one person to handle. I have been blessed with the chance to have a partner in crime who loves cooking as much as I do. My boyfriend makes it a lot easier to make these delectable dinner recipes, and he adds in as much love as I do, which makes the dish that much better. However, having a friend in food is not the only tool to start producing some amazing meals in your future.

Saltim Boca, Rice and Asparagus

Steak Gorgonzola Pasta with Blushing Tomato Cream Sauce

An amazing aspect of making real meals that many college students don't think about is that you know exactly what is going into your tummies that night. You finally have the chance to go out and buy your own food (most of you), so use this chance to keep yourself healthy and happy. And yes, sometimes it seems like the budget gets in the way of having any food that is real; however, some organic produce at King Supers is actually more friendly to your wallet than the regular produce. Some people think that cooking is too hard and that they don't have the skill to make anything other than ramen. Never say never! There are a number of sites that are filled with recipes that only use five ingredients, not to mention these meals are usually fairly easy to make and save money at the same time. I personally go for the more experienced recipes because I like a challenge and sometimes go slightly off-book, but that is more for the pros.

Valentines Day Pepperoni Mushroom Pizza

The most important kitchen appliance is actually an app on my phone: Pinterest. It is my guiltiest pleasure and my own little perfect girl world. Aside from all of my fabulous pins, I have seven different categories consisting of 509 food recipes referring to breakfasts, dinners, healthier choices, bad desserts and many others. I have so many recipes that I have an entire board dedicated to mine and my boyfriend's favorite dinners we have made so far. It's hard not to repeat these amazing dinners.

Spice Rubbed Cornish Game Hens and Roasted Veggies

One other kitchen gadget that makes professional dinners (or desserts) easy as pie: the one and only slow cooker. The catch with this is the timing has to be good with these meals, because you must start earlier in the day. You might have to cut up a few veggies and throw in a few spices or meats, but all you do after that is relax and let your house fill with hauntingly good aromas. Many recipes have to sit and stew for maybe eight hours on low, and four to five hours on high heat. Trust me when I say the wait is really worth it.

Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos

For those cooks who are a little more experienced and ready for the big leagues with big responsibilities, there are more fun gizmos in the kitchen. My boyfriend's favorite tool to cook with most definitely is the cast iron skillet. It is big, heavy, and means business when you're talking about flavor. These pans come with a specific set of instructions to keep the pan healthy and to keep your food tasting better. If any clean freaks are reading, this won't be for you, because the washing directions are to wipe it clean with a paper towel and you are never to use soap, for it will ruin the pan. There are methods of cleaning or, as the professionals call it, "seasoning the pan", so it really is not as dirty as you would think. This is one of the best ways to cook some types of food, because it adds an unimaginable amount of flavor. However, the pan gets extremely hot, so be wary with your foods, and use oven mitts to handle the pan while cooking.

Breakfast Skillet

Deep Dish Pizza

Considering all the concoctions we have made and all the recipes we have yet to create, it will take us a long time to cook up all of these feasts.

P.S. The trick to becoming the best chef and more like the real professionals at home: never forget a chef cooks better with a drink in one hand.