I'm Consumed By The What-Ifs

I'm Consumed By The What-Ifs

Do we have the full power to create ourselves?

93
I'm Consumed By The What-Ifs
Unsplash

We aren't given a scroll foretelling our futures. We aren't told of the people we meet will impact us for the good or will bring us harm.

We haven't been instructed on what to do at the most challenging times. Instead, we are thrown out into the world and it's expected of us to make the best out of it.

One of the bad habits that I unfortunately have is fearing the future.

The future is mainly what I think about, day in and day out, mainly because of the concept that it is unknown to me. Also, being a perfectionist in everything that I do doesn't quite help.

I have to put my whole self into everything that I do, or else it's not what I want. If I mess up at something, it will stick with me for a long time until I convince myself to let it go and that it was meant to happen.

On the other hand, if I were to be told of what my upcoming life holds, the essence of life, mystery, and my overall being would be lost and unexciting.

There wouldn't be much of any surprises. There wouldn't be much ambition if I knew that I'd end up where I wanted to be anyway. Or maybe it would strike something in me to push harder?

If I was told something that would leave me devastated, maybe it would force me to be more adventurous and break out of my comfort zone more often. Or maybe it wouldn't at all.

Maybe it would relieve the pressure.

What I'm trying to get at is that the "what-ifs" are what really gets my head spinning. I shouldn't let those thoughts get as overwhelming as they do but like everyone else, I tend to overthink.

I have to keep reminding myself to just let go and let things happen. Because I want it bad enough and am willing to work for it, I'll do okay.

Keeping in mind what I mentioned earlier, I can't seem to wrap my head around whether one's life is relied on choices or destiny. I understand that having more than one option to choose from creates a result, good or bad.

But what if there isn't such a thing as good or bad?

What if no matter the decision we make still ends us in the same place we are meant to be in? Depending on the choice, it could possibly just take longer to reach one's dreams or desires. I really just think it is a little bit of both fate and decision-making.

Take famous actors, for example. They've hoped all their lives to reach their dream job, and finally, in their 50s, they received a major part in a movie. Maybe ever since they were born, they were meant to become big in Hollywood.

Did they know that? No!

But with persistence, they never gave up their goals. Maybe they made a decision earlier in their life that impacted how long it would take for them to get to that point, but they still ended up there.

Maybe it's all one in the same journey, but just a longer path.

I wonder about the people that are currently in prison now. Were they meant to be there? Even though it seems to be a point in their lives that is derived from choices, what if it was meant to happen?

What about the inmates who were locked up even if they were really innocent? Is that just bad luck or is there supposed to be a reason as to why they're there? Is there a life lesson that needed to be learned?

It's the same thing when a loved one passes away or is diagnosed with an illness. We start to question why. Events like that are completely out of our control, so could our lives really be choice-oriented?

There is a saying that "everything happens for a reason". So are the events that happen to us due to cause and effect or simply just fortune or misfortune? Karma? Are our paths in life being built as we go?

I'm never going to get the answer, but what l do know is it's so important to be a kind person.

To our world.

To ourselves.

To others.

You really just never know what our future holds.