True Life: Tuscaloosa Brunch Struggles

True Life: Tuscaloosa Brunch Struggles

What do you mean I can't get a mimosa before 12?

29
True Life: Tuscaloosa Brunch Struggles

Ah, brunch. Every high-maintenance, food-loving girl's favorite meal. After a long night out with your BFFs, waking up and knowing you have brunch plans makes you feel like your life is slightly in order. Some of us plan ahead to attend brunch and choose to dress up for this weekly occasion, while others roll out of bed, wash their faces, pop two advil, throw some sunnies on and get in the car and cure their hangover with what seems to be the best meal ever.

But oh wait, welcome to Tuscaloosa where that seems nearly impossible.

Here is your typical Saturday morning around 10-12 p.m. Barely any restaurants serve brunch, there are ridiculously long lines and the best part, no alcohol before twelve on Sundays. Tuscaloosa needs to redefine brunch, and here is why.

Brunch seems to be only served downtown.

Downtown Tuscaloosa is wonderful; there are tons of great restaurants and shops, but on the downside a large portion of the restaurants don't serve breakfast/brunch so your options are limited. So hello, the answer is simple. The strip needs more restaurants, plus they need to serve breakfast and brunch. Problem solved.

What do you mean you don't take reservations?

This is not only an issue for brunch, but also lunch and dinner here in Tuscaloosa. Barely any nicer restaurants take reservations, so you either need to eat dinner at 5 p.m. like my grandmother, or 8 p.m., but even then, you will probably have to wait to be seated.

No alcohol before 12? Good one. Oh wait you're not joking.

Unfortunately this is not just an issue to Tuscaloosa brunch-goers. By Alabama state law, alcohol cannot be served before 12 p.m. on Sundays. So be well aware of this when you go to brunch at 10 a.m on a Sunday, because the drink menu is off limits for another two hours (sigh). On the plus side, no one will judge you for drinking during the day because you know, it's brunch.