College As Told By An 80s Movie | The Odyssey Online

College As Told By An 80s Movie

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.” -Marty McFly, Back to the Future (1985)

21
College As Told By An 80s Movie
Buzzfeed.com

College. A time in your life where you are on a campus with hundreds of other people striving to receive a degree. Move in day, orientation, Greek life, organizations, new friends, etc. College is a whole new universe. Here are a few things to know about the next 4 years.

1. The Acceptance Letter

You've applied to 10 billion colleges and now acceptance letters are filling up your mailbox. You feel stressed because you have to make a choice at where you want to spend the next coming years. No worries. Each college has a unique quality about them and tradition. Hopefully, you have toured all of the colleges you have applied for, so you should make a decision on where you felt best at home. College will be your home for the next four to six years. Choose a place you can see yourself as a student, and where you want to get involved.

2. The First Day

A day full of finding classes, syllabi, and finding a seat. The first day can seem very nerve racking. People ask your name, your major, what you want to do in life…...and it can all seem overwhelming. Don’t stress. It’s only the first day. You can only have a first day of college once in your life

3. Joining Organizations and Clubs

At orientation you are handed a list of every club on campus. Math club, Environmental club, Forensics club, Sociology club.....and even a Ghostbuster club. There's a club for everything. You want to join a club and add it on your resume, but you simply cannot decide or know what to do. Just stay calm and cool. They always have an interest meeting for each organization. You can go to as many as you want to decide where you fit in. You can join as many as you want. By joining an organization, you become a part of your university and have a voice. It's also a great way to make new friends.

4. Assignments and Exams

Turning in your first assignments can seem kind of nerve racking. You don't necessarily know how the professor grades, or what they expect. You're not the first one....Everyone gets nervous during the first week of classes. Just remember that everyone is in the exact same boat. If you have concerns or questions about an assignment or report, do not hesitate to ask. Professors tend to love when students take the initiative to ask questions. They know that you take college seriously, and care about your grade.

5. Go to Class

I know it is sometimes hard to go to that 8 A.M class, but go. College is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The quicker you attend classes and do the work, the quicker you graduate. By going to class, you show the professors you care about your education and you help establish a strong work ethic.

6. Enjoy College

Enjoy the next few years. Those nights you pull a study all-nighter, spend hours making flashcards, and spend five hours in the library, will be worth it. College flies by, and you will make memories worth a lifetime.

Overall, college is a cherishable time in your life. Get involved, do the work, and the next four years will be the best. It will definitely be something you will not forget about.