College Major Persona Part 2: Stetson University Persona

32

Last week, I wrote an article surrounding the persona of English majors. However, this week I am going to veer off from talking about majors. Everyone is settling in either as a new student, fresh from high school, or back into the old routine of being at college. The people I am evaluating this week all have one key component in common: the college they chose to attend.

So what kinds of people are drawn to Stetson University? Why do they want to be a Hatter?

The answer appears to be simple, yet is complicated. Students drawn to Stetson University love its size. Walking from class to class, students will become familiar with whom they pass every day at certain times. They enjoy this feeling of intimacy elicited from a small campus. And yet, at the same time, they are not stuck with the same students. Diverting from their path simply by a couple of minutes, Stetson students encounter many different faces. From one year to the next, students will meet new people in their year that they never knew.

Along with this small size, students love Stetson University’s close relationship between students and professors. Students are not just faces; they have names. Professors will wave when walking across campus; and the student better wave back because they will see that professor again even if they are not taking his or her class. People are drawn to Stetson because they are welcome to visit professors’ office hours as often as they want. These students are even prompted to visit professors. On occasion, students will visit professors’ homes for dinner at the end of the semester or just for fun.

These relationships between student and professor often form originally from the small class size. Students who choose Stetson University do so because of the small class size. A small class size evokes greater class discussions. The atmosphere becomes intellectual, focused, and intense. These students choose Stetson because they want the small class sizes, where they are forced to interact and learn. Other, bigger schools allow students to slack off from time to time and skip class. Stetson makes people want to attend classes for the fascinating and sometimes off-topic-but-still-relevant discussions.

Some students love Stetson because it is animal-friendly. Two dorms allow students to bring pets such as dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, chinchillas, and more. These people love their pets and want to take them to college. Stetson allows these students the opportunity to bring their pet to college. Studies have proven that pets help reduce stress of college students. Stetson University attracts those students who adore their pets, while helping ease students into a new chapter of their lives.

Another and final component of Stetson that attracts students is its beauty. Prospective students will tour campus and admire its beauty. They will see the fountain in the quad, the green, or any academic building and love it. Stetson draws those students who enjoy the outdoors and greenery. Students are often found lounging in hammocks that are strung up between trees in the quad. These students love every minute they are walking to class, even when it rains.

Check back in next week for part three: Computer Science Majors.