A College Girl's Guide To Sorority Recruitment

Recruitment season is upon us, may the sisterhood be with you!

20

Before signing up for recruitment, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was most certainly not your stereotypical girl who was destined to be in a sorority, and I honestly had no clue about anything sorority related. To be completely honest, I had no idea what "srat" meant, the only Lily Pulitzer I had ever seen was the agendas, and I didn't know a single letter of the Greek alphabet.

All of that and I was about to be thrown into a culture that I wasn't even sure if I fit into. I never would have imagined the exciting, stressful, emotional, and exhausting five days that lay ahead of me. Going through recruitment, I learned a lot, but I realized that there was still a lot that I wished I had known beforehand. So, here are some things that I wish I had known before going through sorority recruitment.

1. Be Prepared.

Recruitment is simply not a cake walk ... at least not for everyone. Going into recruitment, I was a painfully shy person, and boy was I in for a treat. Who knew that such an exciting time could wind up being the most stressful and emotional first experience of your college career. The recruitment process overall is a highly rewarding experience; however, don't go into it assuming that it will be a piece of cake because that is sadly not the case. Be prepared to feel excited, physically and mentally drained, and even emotional all at the same time. Remember to just breath, because it will all be over before you know it, and you will thank yourself later for experiencing something as special as this.

2. Keep An Open Mind.

Going into recruitment with your heart set on a specific house can honestly be one of the worst things you could do. By being set on one house in particular, you are setting yourself up for disappointment because your first choice might not be the one you get. In the end, all of the houses are wonderful and unique in their own way, so keep an open mind, because you will find the home that is meant for you.

3. Don't Be Nervous.

Trust me, there is absolutely nothing to be scared about! To be honest, the very women that are recruiting you are just as nervous to meet you as you are to meet them. While you are worried about finding the home that is meant for you, they are worried about finding the best additions to their existing sisterhood. Instead of being nervous, just think about the exciting future ahead of you. You are on the road to finding not only an awesome sisterhood, but a true and loving family.

4. Don't Read Greek Rank.

One of the most common things I overheard girls talking about when I went through recruitment was what rank each house received on Greek Rank. Honestly, this is another thing that is probably one of the worst things you could do. If you want to have the best recruitment experience, don't judge a house as being "top tier" or "bottom tier" as shown on Greek Rank, and form your own thoughts and opinions on them. You might just be surprised by the house that wins your heart.

5. Dress For Success.

While you may not be going to meet the president, you still want to look and feel your best. The women recruiting you are putting forth their best effort; therefore, you should look presentable to show them that you care about being there and that you are confident in not only yourself but the way that you look. Remember, you are just going to meet girls, so present yourself like you are going to brunch with your parents. There is no need to go overboard with your dress, because that is simply distracting, so dress simple yet presentable. Make sure that whatever you wear is something that you are comfortable in, because, after all, you will be spending the majority of your day in it. Look your best and just feel confident!

6. Be Yourself.

While this sounds cliché, many girls put on an act in order to seem more likable when in reality they are just being fake. You want to end up in a house that is right for you, so in order for that to happen, you must be yourself. By putting on an act, you are only a disservice to yourself because you might end up in a house that doesn't suit you. A house will never not call you back because you acted like yourself. You will be loved for who you are, so don't try to be something you are not. We are all beautiful in our own way, so let it shine.

7. Don't Give Up.

If you were not called back to your first choice or you simply just don't feel like finishing, don't give up. I know you may have had your heart set on wearing ADPI's beautiful blue color, but I promise, you will find your home in the end. It's hard, but you will never know if it's right for you unless you give it a try. If you go through recruitment and you still feel like it's not for your then that's fine, but all you have to do is try.

8. Talk To Your Recruitment Counselor.

Recruitment counselors are strictly there to help you, and trust me, they have been through this before so they understand how hard it can be. My counselor was one of the most helpful people because she gave me some of the best guidance throughout the craziness that is recruitment. When I was unsure of accepting a bid from my sorority, she was there to ensure me that it was OK and that I would surely enjoy it. If you trust her, she will give you some of the best encouraging words and advice, and she will guide you through to your home away from home.

9. Enjoy Yourself!

There is no similar experience in college that compares to recruitment. It is one of the most exciting, rewarding, and memorable experiences of a girl's college career. The Greek community as a whole is one that should be cherished because things like this are what shape, not only your college career, but your life. Put all of the stress and emotions aside and just enjoy the memories you will make during recruitment. Cherish the moment at which you found your home away from home.

Good luck and may the sisterhood be with you!