A Car Accident, As Explained by RuPaul's Drag Race | The Odyssey Online

A Car Accident, As Explained by RuPaul's Drag Race

It was a REAL drag race.

136
Hulu

I was in a pretty bad car accident last week. Basically, my car hit the car in front of us which hit the car in front of them and it was a terrible time for everyone involved and my car is totaled. But everyone makes mistakes. Everyone involved was lucky to walk away with only minor injuries; if you had seen my car, you would know things could have been a lot worse. However, no amount of personal anecdotes from friends and families would have prepared me for the terror and trauma of a bad car crash. I found myself, shivering in the rain waiting for my dad to pick me up from the scene, wishing that there had been some kind of listicle that really explained what a car accident is like; a relatable listicle--one that uses "RuPaul's Drag Race" gifs as the medium through which the terror of a car accident is properly and easily conveyed. Sadly, no such article existed at the time of my accident, and I know some poor kid will one day be in my place, wishing that such an article had prepared him or her for the monstrosity of an automobile collision. Well, that fear and pain can be put to rest today because finally such an article exists on this finite planet.

These are the stages of a car accident as told by "RuPaul's Drag Race" gifs:

1. Getting ready to have a night on the town, unaware that you will never reach your intended destination.

2. Driving on the highway in the pouring rain, ready for the club with your best friend.

3. OH SHIT! You just slammed into the car in front of you!

4. Drifting across lanes with no control of your car. You windshield is shattered and bent.

5. Your head slams into the airbag and then into the window. It feels as though you have been at the whim of your car as it spins across the lanes of the highway for over an hour.

6. Finally, you collide with the guardrail but your car continues to grind across it. There is no more control. You accept death as inevitable.

7. You are alive. Your ears are ringing. Your car is full of smoke. You're not sure when the car stopped moving, where you are, or what's going on.

8. You exit your car only to have your vision go black. You fall on top of your friend into the backseat.

9. You watch the paramedics take your friend away in a stretcher, possibly the last time you will ever see her alive.

10. Telling your part of the story to the cops.

11. Waiting to be picked up from the scene of the accident at 3 am.

12. Last, going to bed knowing you no longer have a car, your friends' lives are messed up, your insurance company is going to have a field day, and you've made stupid decision after stupid decision to get to this point in your life but you're also really sleepy and all that can wait for tomorrow.

And that's the tea.