Captain America: Civil War

Captain America: Civil War

Can a "film snob" like Marvel movies?

4
Captain America: Civil War
Movie Pilot

Now, a “film snob” has many negative connotations to it. These are the people that take film way too seriously and often just demolish films if they aren’t taking the medium seriously or are popularly accepted. That isn’t my definition though, I think by me starting this process of writing reviews, watching critically and collecting films I have become a “film snob.”

I have stronger feelings about movies now and I will often have long and drawn out thoughts about them. I will often be called annoying when I point out a film angle or say something like, “Oh that scene reminds me of [insert other movie’s scene here].” Now as a “film snob,” I’m supposed to hate cash-grabbing summer blockbusters or something—I haven’t read the entire rulebook yet but I think that’s part of it. So I should hate all Marvel movies (the biggest earners and the new “tent-pole” movies) and what they stand for, right?

Captain America: Civil War- (9/10)

This is my favorite Marvel movies of the growing Marvel Cinematic Universe. I came into the movie with semi-high hopes as the “Civil War” comic book event is one of my favorite memories of growing up. So yes, I am already a fan of comic books so of course I’m going to like Marvel movies. This one is not just a great Marvel movie, though, it transcends that, this is a great film, plain and simple.

Marvel products as a whole have fantastic writing, excellent choreography and execution of fight scenes and can hit emotional notes when needed. Civil War takes the formula and perfects it. This movie is meant to launch “Phase 3” of Marvel Movies and lead to the next Avengers and if this is any indication, the MCU is a fine wine and getting better with age.

The addition of new heroes like Black Panther and Spider-Man are both played to perfection and given their moment to shine. Even though Spider-Man was a late addition and slightly forced, Tom Holland makes us happy by absolutely nailing the performance. Chadwick Boseman is going to become the definitive T’Challa/Black Panther and I have no doubt that the comics will keep coming back to his performance in this and his coming solo film as how the character should be. But the two most important characters really carried this film into the stratosphere.

In the comic book story, it’s really hard to root for Tony Stark, and Team Captain America are the de-facto good guys of the story arc. I was expecting more of the same with this film since it is technically a “Captain America” film, but I still probably left the theater Team Iron Man. Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. have become the living embodiments of their respective characters and know them like the back of their hands.

They brought emotional weight to this conflict between friends and made the slightly lengthy set-up of the first parts of the film feel necessary, something that the similar “Batman v. Superman” cannot say for itself. That movie felt rushed or overly long and never really found a groove and the conflict held no weight, this movie is the exact opposite of that. This movie basically destroyed all arguments that “film snobs” cannot enjoy and appreciate Marvel movies.

This argument is similar to the books versus comic books argument as both are technically literature and serve to achieve the same ends. Comic books can be just as deep and affecting as the great novels of the world and that has been proven. Marvel movies and blockbusters as a whole can be considered great movies if they hit all the necessary points. Marvel movies have great writing, fantastic acting, beautiful cinematography, emotional character development and conflict and if a film hits all of those benchmarks, one cannot logically call it a good film. The fact that “Captain America: Civil War” takes all of these aspects to new heights is why this movie is the best to come out of the MCU and why I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Plus, who doesn’t love seeing damn cool superhero fights and powers?