To All The Boys Who Have Asked Me Out This Year, But Especially You | The Odyssey Online

To All The Boys Who Have Asked Me Out This Year, But Especially You

If you think it's only the girls at parties getting harassed, think again.

484

"Wow, I thought you would be more shy and docile than this," the obnoxiously tall boy in my Sociology class whined, frustrated that I continued dodging his invitations--to go to a party, football game, or to come over to his place because "I have beer."

"Like I said, I liked that choker a lot, it gave me ideas," another boy in my Entomology class lasciviously told me, referring to a cute necklace I had worn to class the day before. "Your outfits are always a fun part of class. Never know what treat Annabelle is going to stroll in wearing." He went on to send me a series of 2 a.m. Snapchats, growing increasingly upset that I never opened them.

"God, there's no need to be hostile," a boy from my Meditation class attempted to placate me, backing away after I gave him a piece of my mind for asking me to "come back to my place and have a good time."

I actually had about ten more instances of being harassed that I was going to share, but you probably get the idea.

Being a young girl is a strange experience. You are prized by society, but much in the way a prize-winning calf is going to the slaughter - everyone wants your meat, not who you are as a being. Unfortunately, none of these instances are isolated events--girls everywhere have to put up with this bullsh*t. And some aren't lucky, the ones who were at a party and had their punch spiked, or happened to be in a poorly lit area. The ones who didn't get away with a few heated words.

The worst part is that, if the harassment of women truly wasn't accepted by society, it wouldn't happen the way it does now. Donald Trump wouldn't be president (it's not worth capitalizing with him in office). Women wouldn't have to have all these "Hey, we have rights!" rallies. I wouldn't go to class in pursuit of a degree and along with an education receive an onslaught of unwanted male advances. Over half of the women I know wouldn't all have stories about being bothered, harassed, or worse.

The only people who seem to not be okay with the harassment of women are women.

And why is this? Where are the "not all men" cowards when their buddy is taking off the clothes of a drunk, defenseless girl? Where are all the men who respect women because "I have a wife and daughter" when laws are being passed that directly conflict with female autonomy? It seems like supporting women's rights is just a good sound bite.

I'm tired of women always being the ones focused on. It shouldn't be "What did she do to deserve it?" but rather "Why did you do it?"

If you think it's only the girls at parties getting harassed, think again. It's your sisters and daughters going to class. It's your wives going to work. It's every woman, everywhere, anytime.

One article won't change anything, but it's time for you to take some action.

If you're a guy, talk to girls you know. Politely ask them about their experiences. Understand that this is a universal thing and that she is not lying. If you see a girl in danger, protect her. Don't defend someone because he's your "buddy." Vote against laws that are against women. Be supportive if something happens to a woman in your life because there are so many girls who have stories of not being the lucky one.

To all the girls reading this, it's okay to say no to men.

No, you don't have to "give him a chance." If he makes you uncomfortable, get the hell out of there. It's okay to not be the "nice girl." If he's not respecting your rights and feelings, you are not obligated to respect his. We are not objects, we are people, and deserve to be treated as such.

To all the boys who asked me out this year (but especially you): There is a difference between asking a girl out because you like and respect her and harassing a girl or attempting to emotionally manipulate her into giving you what you want because you're a twisted individual. Learn the difference.