Boyfriend-Less During the Holidays

Boyfriend-Less During the Holidays

When you're whole family and the people constantly nag you about not having a boyfriend

26
Boyfriend-Less During the Holidays
AirG Buzz

"Do you have a boyfriend?" "Where's you're boyfriend, honey?" "Are you STILL single?" "You're almost 20 years old, you need to go and meet a guy!" "Is there someone special?"

These are the questions that I frequently get asked, especially during the holidays. It is as if my love life is broadcasted in front of everyone, and is everyone's business, especially my families. I have contemplated paying one of my guy friends to pretend to be my boyfriend for a day because these questions always come out at the dinner table during Christmas or even at the supermarket when I am talking to my mom's old high school friends. It's as if the word SINGLE FOREVER is tattooed on my forehead. Where is the push to become an independent woman? Where are all the single ladies? Who needs a man, am I right? Ok, ok I'll be in the corner crying. Everyone who has a boyfriend, and I am most of my friends will be snuggling with their boyfriends, drinking hot chocolate, and listening to Christmas music while I do all of those things with my family.

I love my grandmother, but most of the "being single" criticism comes directly from her mouth. I don't think she understands why I don't have boys jumping (and parachuting) from the sky, just hoping for the chance to be my lucky guy. She is even talking about marriage! Marriage at 19 years old, who would have thought that today that would be something she would want. Skipping marriage is fine because what she really wants is to be a great grandmother! Whenever she brings this up, especially during the holiday dinner, I look at my mother pathetically. She agrees in part with my grandmother, her mother, except for the marriage and children part. I feel a lot of pressure, but I know at the end of the day, they really want me to be happy with someone else, as if I can't be happy by myself.

My father on the other hand is quite happy at my current situation and does not even chime in in all this marriage and children talk. Maybe he secretly hopes I will be single and holly forever, but really will never say anything. He never asks about my boyfriend (which I have none currently) or anything about finding one and changing my relationship status.

One of my good friends has very distinctive views on marriage and boyfriends and everything about the single life. She will dance to the single lady theme song and says that a blanket can keep you warm when it gets cold outside. Marriage and children are out of the question, as single is strength. She also gives me relationship advice, saying if they aren't 100% me, then it is time to bounce. If only my family could think that being boyfriend-less during the holidays was okay or even excellent.

Isn't that right?