12 'Grey's Anatomy' Quotes To Inspire You | The Odyssey Online

12 'Grey's Anatomy' Quotes To Inspire You

Life keeps moving forward -- with or without you.

836
seriesanatomy.com

For 12 seasons, we’ve stood by the characters of "Grey’s Anatomy." We’ve thought everything from, “Wow, look how amazing they are” to “She’s crazy” to “Oh my God, what are you doing?” We’re still not over all the deaths (I’m looking at you, Shonda), but through it all, TGIT has kept us going. It’s something to look forward to at the end of the work/school week. Here are 12 quotes that will inspire you to just keep going.

1. “Boundaries don’t keep other people out, they fence you in. Life is messy. That’s how we’re made. So you can waste your life drawing lines, or you can live your life crossing them.” — Meredith Grey

Don’t let things that have hurt you keep you from taking risks. Sure, you got your heart broken. You can’t let that stop you from going on a date. Yeah, you failed a test. That doesn’t mean you’re not smart and successful. Crossing lines and stepping out of your comfort zone is the only way you grow and change as a person.

2. “At the end of the day, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don’t really expect it. It’s like one day you realize the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed of. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it’s not so important that it’s happy ever after -- just that it’s happy right now. See, once in awhile, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you. And once in awhile people may even take your breath away.” — Meredith Grey

You have to have faith that everything is going to be alright. It might not turn out the way you had initially planned. The college you had your heart set on might reject you or be too expensive, but you might end up at the perfect school for you. You can’t choose your path based on "happily ever after," because you don’t know what’s going to make you happy 10 years from now. You have to choose your path as you go, making decisions that make you happy in the moment.

3. “Even the biggest failure, even the worst, most intractable mistake, beats the hell out of never trying.” — Meredith Grey

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but I think that people have trouble remembering this. Don’t skip a class because you’re afraid of failing the test -- a 50 is better than a zero. Go talk to the cute person. Tell the person you like how you feel. You’re going to regret it if you don’t.

4. “The carousel never stops turning.” — Ellis Grey

Any die-hard fan of the show hates this quote. We know that it’s about to go down when we hear it. It’s a good philosophy to have, though. Despite our mixed feelings about Ellis, we all know she was one of the most brilliant people to have lived in the universe in which "Grey’s" takes place. Her philosophy just means that you have to keep going. Yes, bad stuff happens, but life keeps moving forward -- with or without you.

5. “Life is not a spectator sport. Win, lose or draw, the game is in progress whether we want it to be or not. So go ahead, argue with the ref, change the rules, cheat a little, take a break and tend to your wounds. But play. Play. Play hard, play fast... play loose and free. Play as if there's no tomorrow.” — Meredith Grey

Live your best life. Take risks and live as if you could lose it all tomorrow. Eat those pizza rolls. Take a weekend off of work and go to the beach. You cannot just sit back and watch life pass you by. If you just play by the rules, you’re going to look back and wish you had broken a few.

6. “Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature.” — Christina Yang

Christina was everybody’s goals for 10 years. She was beautiful and brilliant and had an insane work ethic. When we all inevitably thought about becoming surgeons, it was usually because of her. Christina was fire; she was unstoppable; she was a force of nature. Be like her. Do not take no for an answer when it comes to school or your career. Work as hard as you possibly can in order to be successful. Corny as it may sound, be the fiery, unstoppable force of nature you needed when you were younger.

7. “Maybe we have to get a little messed up, before we can step up.” — Alex Karev

Throughout your life, there are going to be people and things that hurt you. They might scar you for life. Those are the things that make you grow up. You can’t step up and be a real adult until you’ve had something mess you up a little bit. It’s not the best sentiment, but think about the people you know who have never had any real problems versus someone who has. I’m not here to judge, but think about who knows how and when to step up.

8. “You never know the biggest day of your life is the biggest day. Not until it’s happening. You don’t recognize the biggest day of your life. Not until you’re right in the middle of it. The day you commit to something or someone. The day you get your heart broken. The day you meet your soulmate. The day you realize there’s not enough time, because you want to live forever. Those are the biggest days.” — Izzie Stevens

The lesson here is to treat every day as if it could be the biggest day of your life. When you’re having a terrible day, remember this quote. 10 years from now, you could be looking back on that day and think about how it changed your life forever. It could be something small, like a professor saying something that changes the way you think about something. It could be something huge, like meeting your best friend or the person you’ll end up marrying. Treat every day as if it’s going to be the biggest day.

9. “When it hurts so much you can’t breathe, that’s how you survive. By remembering that one day, somehow, impossibly, you won’t feel this way. It won’t hurt this much.” — Izzie Stevens and Derek Shepherd

You have to keep moving forward. You will not survive if you stay stagnant. I know that when you’re in pain, it’s hard to envision a future where you’re happy, but you will be. Some things hurt more than others and might hurt for the rest of your life. As time goes on, it’ll hurt less and less. You have to believe that.

10. “Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing. Even if you're scared that it'll cause problems. Even if you're scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there.” — Mark Sloan

Your opinions and feelings matter. Say them loudly. Take a stand. Make a statement. Mark didn’t get the chance to say it until the very end (RIP Lexie), so do it for him. You may have to deal with some fallout, but that’s better than staying quiet.

11. “He is not the sun. You are.” — Christina Yang

"He" doesn’t actually have to be a man. It could be anyone or anything that tries to be the center of your universe. Don’t let them do that. You need to be the center of your own universe. Don’t be selfish, but to take care of others, you must take care of yourself first.

12. “Don't let fear keep you quiet. You have a voice, so use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers. Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes, just find your voice, and when you do, fill the damn silence.” — Meredith Grey

This one is also pretty self-explanatory, but is a very important concept. Don’t let someone silence you. Your opinions and feelings matter. Whether or not people agree with you, what you have to say is valid. Fill the metaphorical silence. There are so many social issues to have an opinion on. Speak up.