Bloomberg LP: A Farewell And Big Thank You! | The Odyssey Online

Bloomberg LP: A Farewell And Big Thank You!

Reflecting on my summer at Bloomberg.

8
Kingsley Udoyi

I never thought I would find myself writing this blog post, but here I am. I am saying goodbye to a company that welcomed me with open arms in July 2016. The cohort that I came in with and the people on my team have become like my second family. Heck, they probably know more about me than some of my closest friends. I don’t think they’ll ever know how much I truly appreciate them, which is why it is so hard to say goodbye.

My last day was this past Friday and I was in what you could call an emotion limbo. I have always told others, you know you really enjoyed your job when you feel bittersweet about leaving. On one hand, I have this new adventure to look forward to (college), but it’s also very hard to leave all of these amazing people, that I just met six weeks ago, behind. I don’t consider these people co-workers, I consider them my friends. They appreciated my love for food and didn't look down upon me for how much I ate. I mean working in a building with 4 pantries of free food and drinks, how can you not eat constantly. Too cheesy or corny? I suggested you stop now, pun intended. They pushed me to be better and brought out the best not only in my work performance, but my personality. I can’t think of a time where I didn’t laugh at least once a day at Bloomberg.

Looking back, my time at Bloomberg felt like a whirlwind.

Looking back, my time at Bloomberg felt like a whirlwind. So much has happened since I started working there. It was the first time I worked in an office that had glass literally everywhere. This is an emphasis on the Transparency of the company - one of the obvious attributes of the company. I spoke to at least three different people each day thanks to the amazing networking opportunities. I ate food I had never tried before. I learned some new tricks with excel, attended several conferences and even had the opportunity to speak with other college interns from top tier schools. None of this would have happened if PENCIL had not given me the opportunity to even apply for a job at Bloomberg. Big thanks to PENCIL President, Gregg Betheil, and others for believing in me. Seriously, Bloomberg changes people and I mean this in a good way!

I will miss my desk, which was so graciously passed down to me from a fellow co-worker with an iPhone charger and cool headset for answering or making phone calls. I can only hope the next person to sit in it will do it justice. I left my mark on the always entertaining Bloomberg and hope to continue to do so wherever I go from here on out. I began to look forward to Ice Cream Day every Friday and team lunches. I got to help plan amazing events, go on really cool museum tours and work with such a supportive team. These are things that made work not feel like work.

I will never be able to thank my friends and managerenough

I will never be able to thank my friends and manager enough for allowing me to have the opportunity to grow and take advantage of my resources. I couldn’t have asked for a better boss, mentor and friend. I owe everything I know about this industry to her. If you ever get the chance to meet her, attend one of her seminars, have a conversation with her or work with her, consider yourself lucky. I know this sounds super corny, but it’s the truth, I am a better person for knowing her and working with her.

I will miss not being able to see these people Monday through Friday bright and early hard at work. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to work for such a great company and with truly amazing people. Thank you for everything Bloomberg. I laughed. I cried. I ate. I made my move. Hopefully you will too!