What It Means To Be A Brother

What It Means To Be A Brother

Blood runs thicker than water.

6690
What It Means To Be A Brother

Brothers: can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, am I right? I actually don't have any blood-related brothers, just one younger sister, and yet, I'm still a brother. Not a "raised in the same home with the same parents" kind of brother, more of a "brother from another mother." More specifically, a Brother of Alpha Phi Omega, JMU's only coed service fraternity. Family is one of the most important aspects of life. Blood certainly runs thicker than water, especially for me. I found my family in APO, and even though we aren't born with the same DNA, being a brother in this fraternity has become one of the greatest things in my life, and one of the most important things that I am. Over the last semester, APO has become more than something I "do." It has become what I am. Before being accepted into this organization, I wasn't sure where my home was at school. Well, I mean, I knew where my classes were and where my apartment was: my bed, my room, my stuff; but it wasn't a home — it was just a place I lived. APO made it my home. To me, being a brother means being a warm hug. It means being a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on, and an ear to listen. Being a brother means building and breaking bridges, celebrating victories and mourning losses together. Being a brother means so many different things to so many people, but it all comes back to passion and compassion. I know what being a brother means to me, but what does it mean to the people I love the most? Here's what some of my brothers had to say about what being a brother means to them:

"When you go home for winter break, all your family wants to know about is what you're involved in on campus — and how lucky am I to be able to say APO. APO has enhanced my college experience since the day I decided to rush. Never have I been in a room with such genuinely enthusiastic and inspiring people. Being in the company of APO brothers is a surreal feeling I would wish upon anyone having an off day. You can feel the energy, the dedication, and the readiness to be the change. Being in APO is a humbling experience that has helped me grow into a person I could have never imagined for myself before being extended a bid. Leadership, friendship, and service are the three cardinal principles pouring out of each member's heart. And, thanks to APO, when I go home for winter break, I can say I'm involved in something truly remarkable."

"Being an APO brother to me is belonging to a family of admirable members who can and will change the world through their actions. APO is an organization that gave me a new home when I was thousands of miles away from mine, and has supported me in every step that I've taken ever since. It has opened up so many doors, showed me skills I didn't know I had, and it has given me a family when I needed one the most. APO has opened my eyes to a world I didn't know existed. A world outside of my bubble. This world has many problems that need help in order to be fixed, but it also gave me the tools to contribute a bigger cause and make a change."

"To be a brother of APO, I feel a sense of belonging I have never had with a group of extraordinary people. To be a part of this organization has made me find role models and peers my age that make me strive to achieve my full potential. It has also sharpened my understanding of leadership and service in my own community."

"Being a brother to me means surrounding myself with people who push me to be the best version of myself through their words and actions. It means the opportunity to serve the community while gaining the knowledge and inspiration to change the world. And it means love and acceptance for people from all walks of life."

"Being a brother to me is similar to an appetizer sampler. You get a little bit of amazing goodness in the many different types of apps on the plate. There are so many different types of people with amazing goodness in them. But in all seriousness, it means sharing the same love for service to people, the community, and the world with an amazing pool of different people that I couldn't be more proud of. It means walking throughout campus and smiling at the best people I know. It means love and togetherness. And it means that there's hope in this world because of these people."

I never feel better or more fulfilled than when I am with and supporting my brothers. Being a brother of Alpha Phi Omega is not all that I am, but it is the best thing that I am, and the best thing I could ever be. The people that I have the privilege of serving alongside everyday and get to call my brothers are the people that are going to change this world. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I was extended a bid into the organization that has completely flipped my world upside down and showed me what it's like to be something truly great: a brother.