How Being a Barista Changed My Life | The Odyssey Online

How Being a Barista Changed My Life

Pouring out the sweetest lattes and the darkest brews for you

111
How Being a Barista Changed My Life
Javier Molina

Being a Barista has literally changed and saved my life. When I decided to start this job the summer before my Junior semester, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I don't work at a large million dollar coffee chain, I work at a small, friend run coffee shop that proudly serves a mean bean. The shop I'm talking about is RUBIX. It has saved my life in many ways since I got here.

First, I actually met the people I was serving.

Now I worked for years a server at a few different restaurants. They were all nice, and you really got to know your regulars, but on an extended time frame. This is totally different at a coffee house. Here we have plenty of time to accommodate and truly to get to know our customers by name. I have loved making a coffee for customers and then just having a nice long chat with them. Not small talk, real talk. Getting to know the community I was born and raised in much more intimately.

The knowledge you pick up from your customers is also vast. I have had coworkers make job connections for after college, find new favorite places to go, and even make really good friends with our customers. This makes coming into work every day extra enjoyable.

Secondly, FREE COFFEE.

When I'm working of course, but still FREE. That's life changing right there. and 50% off when I'm not working?? I'm seriously saving money on my addiction and getting to see a smiling face I know and love when I come in. (Does it seriously get better than that?)

Third and Finally,

I got to understand more and more what community means. Being in a small student run coffee shop, I have been able to meet the people I have lived and grown up around for the last 20 years. I have been fully introduced into the community in a way that makes people know my name. I am the barista that they vent to before they jet off to work, family, errands, or home. I am the smiling face behind that counter that makes their hot brew extra delicious that day.

I am a Barista,

and because of that,

I am happy.