"Before And After You:" Chapter Three - The Odyssey Online

"Before And After You:" Chapter Three

Let's have a look at what Caleb is up to.

13
"Before And After You:" Chapter Three
Olivia Watkins

In the last chapter of "Before and After You," we saw Maya's life a couple of years after she graduated high school. She was rehearsing a role for a big upcoming audition with her boyfriend, Liam. But where is Caleb? And who is this new guy, Liam? Read on to head back in time, when Caleb and Maya were still in high school.

Chapter Three

Caleb stalked toward his driveway after the long walk home from school. Backpack draped over one shoulder, smile exposed, mind elsewhere. He pulled at the rusty doorknob and the light door opened toward him. Immediately upon his arrival, his little brother unexpectedly ran past him, making Caleb lose his balance and almost fall to the floor.

“Why is Joey home already?” Caleb called into the depths of the house, hoping his question reached his mother.

Seconds later, he got a response from her: “We took a sick day.” Her voice got louder as she approached Caleb, coming into his line of vision from around the corner where the hallway was.

“A sick day? He doesn’t seem sick.”

“He tricked me, Caleb! By the time that I figured it out, I had already called into work and his school.” His mother swayed her hips involuntarily as she relived the experience.

“A five year old tricked you? How does that even happen?” Caleb asked with a huff of a sarcastic laugh.

Even though Karen, Caleb’s mom, took the day off, she still looked stunning. With little makeup and clothes that didn’t indicate she was trying too hard, she pulled off the perfect “mom look."

Caleb laughed lightly and picked up the matching pair of Nerf guns that his brother was shooting darts at him with. Chasing Joey around the one-story house, Caleb gave his mom a break from the constant chaos that came along with keeping Joey occupied. Caleb knew that his mother was most likely exhausted from the day's events -- heck, she probably wished she was at work right now.

After an hour or so of playing with Joey, Caleb joined his mother in the kitchen as she was preparing the traditional lasagna that she made for the family before a Friday-night game. Followed by the entire family coming to his game, they hadn’t missed one yet, whether it was home or away, and the season was almost over.

Caleb started prepping the salad and wondered aloud, “Where is Scarlet?”

Karen took a break from cooking, opened the window above the kitchen sink, and took a cigarette out of her back jean pocket. As she lit it, the embers glowed in an instant warmth, clouding the space with the bitter smell that the tiny object cascaded around them.

“I finally got her down for a late nap right before you came home. She should be up right before we all take off.”

“And Missy?”

“She went to a friend's after school; she is going to meet us there.”

“Is Sarah coming?” Caleb asked in a hushed tone.

“No. I ended it. She texted me a million times a day and then a million more if I never responded. I don’t do clingy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I don’t have time for dating anyways.”

“You know, my game isn’t mandatory for you. You should have a night off. Relax, watch a show.”

“HogWash!” Karen heckled at the idea. Caleb never knew how this word became a part of her vocabulary, but he was used to it by now.

Dinner was ready. It was just Joey, their mom, and Caleb tonight. Although, that didn’t mean it wasn’t absolute anarchy. Food was being handed in all directions and each person was trying to talk over one another as if what they had to say was too important to wait. Caleb noticed, over the unbroken voices of his family, a heavy feeling in the atmosphere. It felt as if unspoken sentences crowded the room, making it feel like there were a lot more people there with them. Regardless of the circumstance, the presence of their father loomed over each of them like a fly that just never went away no matter how many times you tried to swat it.

As the family finished up with dinner, Caleb and Joey helped with the dishes. Their mother leaned against one of the kitchen counters, next to the sink, “Are you ready for the game?”

“As ready as I can be. That reminds me, I won’t be home right after. I am going to get sundaes with a friend.” Caleb tried to say this as casually as he could utter; he didn’t want to make a big deal out of it.

“A friend?” Her voice piped up in question.

“Yes. A friend. We are going to be late. Can we go?”

“Uh-huh,” Karen hummed as she bustled around the house, getting everything and everyone ready to head out. Caleb looked at his mom in admiration; he had never met someone in his entire life who was so devoted, so selfless, and who gave 110% into everything they did. Taking on the role of two parents was anything but easy, but she made it look close to effortless. Caleb did as much as he could around the house to help. He even had a job at the local cinema, working late shifts after practice and on and off on the weekends. He was hoping that he would get a scholarship from football for his tuition next year. If not, he didn’t know what he was going to do.

Caleb gathered his things for the game and attempted to corral Joey, his mom, and now Scarlet, who was suddenly awake and alert. He scooped his baby sister from their mother’s arms and cradled her in his own, fitting her perfectly in the crook. The family finally made it to the car and started to load up the vehicle as Caleb locked the front door, triple-checking it was secure. He locked Scarlet up in her car seat while she made silly noises with her mouth, talking to him in her own adorable language. Caleb closed the car door and swiftly sat in the driver’s seat. Starting the car, strapping on his seat belt, putting it in reverse, and pulling out of the driveway, his mom chanted his high school's fight team song at the top of her lungs.

In the next chapter of "Before and After You," we'll go back to visit present Maya again. Chapter four will focus on her big audition, starting right where chapter two left off. Stay tuned!