8 Local Hot Spots To Visit In Baton Rouge, LA This Summer
popular

Live, love, food... Louisiana.

1014
LSU on Instagram

Is it just me or is the year flying by already? I mean we are almost halfway through the semester. Hallelujah! God seems to be blessing me so far and I hope that continues with my body, school, family, and friendships. I mean I do not know about y’all but I’m ready for some Spring Break or better yet, SUMMER!

Baton Rouge is home to many or just a lot of college kids who are staying on campus. I personally live in Baton Rouge so I enjoy things more like going to the beach, or going ANYWHERE but here for the summer. I so thoroughly enjoy my feet in the sand and a cold margarita from the local restaurant. However, for some that are forced to stay in Louisiana this summer, I hope I can help give some ideas as to keep you entertained. Now, for starters let me just say IT STAYS HOT. I mean not a little hot or medium hot, I mean a heat wave comes over our state and never ever leaves. So here’s a little tip I have learned, bring a water bottle and sunglasses with you everywhere you go.

1. The old Louisiana State Capital

I think this is one of the prettiest places to visit in our state, I mean it's breathtakingly gorgeous and located right by the river so you get a nice breeze while visiting. There are a lot of places to eat and spend time at in downtown Baton Rouge. I go just about every summer sometimes visiting, and I LOVE it each and every time I go. What's better than visiting one of our nation's greatest landmarks?

2. The Louisiana Art and Science Museum

OK, this one might be a little dorky to most people. But, if you are a nerd like me and you are just willing to take a chance and walk and learn about some things you'll never learn in college, visit here. It consists of art galleries, science galleries, and a planetarium. I think there is a little something for everyone here. Get a large group to go together and learn some cool, informative, and interesting facts about Louisiana. I mean we do have a pretty cool state if you ask me!

3. Louisiana State University

So, I know a lot of students already know all there is to know about our campus, but I think if you DO NOT go to Louisiana, you should go visit. The campus is amazingly beautiful. You can visit and browse throughout the beautiful buildings, grab a bite to eat in The Union (hey Chick Fil A, and McDonald's chicken nuggets) and the best part of it all...GO VISIT MIKE THE TIGER! This one is a favorite for me because while I loved all the Mikes, our current little tiger is so so so playful, and I truly enjoy visiting with him some days.

Then I suggest a trip to our campus where there is a lot of amazing merchandise and apparel for sale but also you are probably going to want to stop by the Starbucks, located in the bookstore. I mean come on, who can pass up an Iced Cold Macchiato? Definitely not me. I keep money on my tiger card year around to get me a little boost when needed. Live, Love, LSU. Am I right?

4. Alex Box Stadium or Death Valley

Not only was I raised at a ballpark, I like to call this stadium a special place in my heart. The stadium is beautiful. I mean this is some kind of stadium. If you catch a game that is intense and competitive as our Tiger team, DO IT! I am not 100% sure, but I would sign up for a tour of the beautiful campus because trust me you will want to take it all in. EVERY. SINGLE. BIT. It's beautiful because when it comes to stadiums, our football and baseball are much more superior to other universities. Trust me on this one. It is BEAUTIFUL!

5. The Levee

Over the great Mississippi river, the levee is where most activity happens for my friends and me during the summer. I even bring my pup up there, too. It's just a nice place to walk, run, or ride a bike. I think summer is a great time to go because you get a nice amount of wind and can just relax or have a good time with family and friends.

Beware, it is HOT! So I suggest bringing multiple bottles of water with you. Especially if you are being pulled by your rambunctious dog the entire time, which I usually am. She has loved the Levee even when she was a pup, so she gets so so excited about visiting. I want to note, that the water is not clean so do not let your pup drink out of the levee. (Trust me, we've had a horrible experience with that one.)

6. The Baton Rouge Zoo

OK, if you have not noticed by now, I am a huge lover of animals and so going to the zoo is like a tiny slice of Heaven for me. I love love love being able to wander and look at all the animals.There are so many unique animals. The zoo was built in 1970 which seems like forever ago but with all the amenities they have, you would think it was just built.

They have TONS of different animals, and the ticket fee is not bad at all. This is a must though, because who doesn't want to see cute little animals jumping around all day or we can talk about the scary parts; the snakes. UGH! I tend to usually skip that part of the excursion so I won't have nightmares for life.

(OK, maybe I am being a little dramatic but I mean come on... snakes SUCK!)

7. Fleur de Lis Pizza

OK, you say the word pizza, I am there. When you even mention Fleur De Lis, I am running out to get in the car to go. This is definitely my favorite pizza place in Baton Rouge. My friend and I are tempted to go get pizza from there every time we go out, however, if you are like me and trying to stay fit and get that "summer bod" this is definitely not the best place for you to go. There are several other restaurants that I would suggest that have a MUCH healthier menu that here (Bistro Byronz, Mason's Grill).

However, it's so much more fun to just pig out when you are in Baton Rouge because of the variety of Cajun food and flavor! It's always fun to splurge a little. Like if someone tells you they can skip on Walk On's cheese fries, they are just straight lying. (Also LSU students get 50% off of EVERYTHING at the Walk On's on campus! I mean 50% off means you can take a break from studying for just a second, right?)

8. Blue Bayou or Dixie Landing

As we grow up this place becomes more and more disgusting (sorry). However, this place is kind of awesome fun if you can just get over the fact that you are surrounded by a bunch of germs. The huge water park is amazing, the amusement park is so much fun (and a bit scary), and in the summer they do summer concerts out on the lawn.

Some good, some bad, but I can promise you the next time Gavin Degraw comes around, this girl will be there. You can get season passes if your family goes a lot. Beware though, all the yummy lemonade and fattening food can add up. So definitely keep that in mind before you plan your family's day there.

* * *

There you have it, eight interesting places for you to visit while killing time this summer in Baton Rouge. If you are stuck in summer school and not able to travel off for a week, these are great options for you. I mean who doesn't love fattening food or trips to Dixie Landing. I'll be the first in line for the "pirate ship" ride, and if you are from around here, you know exactly what I mean. For those of you not going to summer school and going on adventures all summer, I am a little envious, just a little.