Ask Me About Me | The Odyssey Online

Ask Me About Me

I Will Continue To March To The Beat Of My Own Drum

81
Ask Me About Me
Mollie Burtch

Ask me about me.

Don't assume you know me or my type. I may not be what you think I am, but honestly, I don't know.

I'm out there and a little weird. I just go against what people think and say because I want to be me. I don't want to be someone who fits into everyone's box.

While growing up I was called weird, loud or told I was marching to the beat of my own drum. For girls, that is typically when we start trying to fit into a mold. But, I didn't realize until I got older that it was more of a compliment than anything. Tell me I can't and I will. Tell me I shouldn't and I'll want to. Tell me not to voice my opinion and I'll say it even louder. People see this as being stubborn, or being a rule breaker, but I see it as being someone who wants to stand out in the world.

I talk loud, sing even louder and am not afraid to tell you exactly what I am thinking. Now, don't take all of that and think I'm not afraid of things. I get nervous before interviews, I am afraid of rejection. But all of that together makes me different because I know I can be weak and therefore, use that to make me stronger. It took me awhile to be comfortable with all this and for me to be comfortable in my own skin, but I've learned that it is more fun, more interesting and more rewarding to be yourself. Its more rewarding to not fit into any box or mold that someone thinks you should fit into. Why is this world consumed with being like everyone else, when we were taught from a young age to be different and be ourselves?

I like being goofy, being loud, loving math, loving dogs and secretly wanting a cat. I enjoy reading books about girls falling in love with boys. I have a habit of not brushing my hair for a day or two. I sleep in and stay in my pjs for hours. I either go all in on something or I don't care at all. I listen to country music, but love jamming out to 90s R&B.

I get nervous and overthink everything. Not because that's apparently what girls do, but because I've been through rejection and now use that to think through things so I can be the best me I can be. No matter what society says. Half the time, I am winging life because I've learned that the best version of yourself isn't made within a planner. It's made by trying new things and learning more about who you are. I'm not going to change who I am to fit into this mold that society has placed in our lives. That is simply not what I am here to do.

God created me to be me and to love and serve him. I can do that without having to be a size 2, without having to wear a bunch of makeup and without having to be like everyone else. So, yeah. I'm different. I march to the best of my own drum. but guess what? God loves me, I love myself and I'm happy. So I will continue to march to my own off beat drum.

Go ahead. Ask me about me, but be prepared to hear a story that is unlike any other.