Are Nude Bras Racist? And Other Fights On My Timeline | The Odyssey Online

Are Nude Bras Racist? And Other Fights On My Timeline

Since when did Facebook and Twitter become war zones?

93

The title of this article may be throwing you off a bit. You probably own various products in the color nude and have never seen them as being racist. I would have never thought my nude lipstick or bra could be the start of a racial controversy, but it seems that the latter has started the newest of the Internet's infamous arguments. Twitter and Facebook are always flooded with everyone's different opinions, and this week I saw a link to an article on my Facebook timeline from a friend who responded with "this is ridiculous!" saying that she couldn't believe someone could call nude bras racist. This post sparked my interest in the topic since I had never heard of such a thing. I decided to look into it and this is what I found.

On September 8, The Oklahoma Daily published an editorial article titled "Replacing the fashion industry's definition of "nude"," depicting a new issue that's been brought about in the media. This issue is revolved around the fact that a nude bra can be considered racist because it's only nude if you're Caucasian. The Oklahoma Daily writer then brought to light a company, Nubian Skin, that offers a line of bras in all different skin tones.

The editorial received various reactions afterwards from readers as well as other news outlets. People saw the article as accusing nude bras of being racist. With all the recent racial controversies in the news, this article was just another reason for people to fight on social media.

The OU Daily has since made a statement saying "No, we do not think nude bras are racist" and explaining all the backlash they received from other media outlets as well as on social media. They replied to these allegations by writing:

"Just to be clear, we never declared bras are racist because they come in colors named “nude,” and in no way did we say the color of your bra might make you a racist.

Our editorial explained how limiting nude-colored bras to one color, in this case light-tan, shows how the fashion industry and society at large has based its ideal of nude on Caucasian people. We then commended a lingerie company called Nubian Skin for designing nude-colored clothing in different shades." (The Oklahoma Daily)

Still, it's understandable that people took their original piece a different way, especially when it contained statements like:

"We encourage all of our readers to think critically about the small instances of racial bias they encounter each and every day. While you may not have ever had to deal with being unable to find flesh-colored products in the actual color of your skin, it is the reality of commercialism for millions of Americans."

Many parts of the article did make it seem like The OU Daily thinks nude bras are racist. They wrote that "nude colored bras aren't catered for all skin-colors" so many people argued that nude is simply a color and that the bras aren't called "skin-color" bras. Some articles stated that next people are going to be saying that band-aids and white socks are racist too.

Society today is always looking for some bandwagon to jump on. While some matters are serious, many are just laughable. Take for example the recent debate about Ariana Grande stating she hates Americans, really? Ariana may have said it and yes she was acting the fool, but it is obvious she is not anti-American. The star has since posted many apologies after all the backlash she received. Still, everyone loved posting their opinions on social media, and media outlets had a field day reporting that "Ariana Grande Hates America."

The moral of the story is, whether or not The OU Daily said that nude bras are racist or not isn't as important as the fact that our society will use anything to start a fight, especially via the Internet. Facebook and Twitter are social media platforms and thus people will post their opinions, but I'm definitely not one to participate in a fight in the comments of someone's post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and some people just voice theirs more than others. So, what do you think? Share your opinion on the nude bra controversy in the comments below!

Sources:

http://www.oudaily.com/opinion/editorials/replacin..., http://www.oudaily.com/blogs/the-oklahoma-daily-do...