Andy Grammer And Gavin DeGraw's Concert Blew Me Away | The Odyssey Online

Andy Grammer And Gavin DeGraw's Concert Blew Me Away

They put on a fantastic show!

31
stlttoday.com

When my friend Jess invited me to see a Gavin DeGraw and Andy Grammer concert with her, I was so excited. And although I knew that I loved concerts, and that I was bound to have a great time, I didn't realize how memorable this concert would be.

You never really know how much a person enjoys what they do until you watch them do it. For Andy and Gavin, that's singing and performing. Seeing the smiles on their faces, the joy in their voices, and the appreciation for their fans left me in awe. I knew I was walking into the Mayo Performing Arts Center for a good time, but I didn't realize how positive and enjoyable the experience was going to be.

Before the concert, Jess and I were lucky enough to meet Gavin. I met Gavin in 2008, when I was an awkward little girl, and remembered that he was an absolute sweetheart. But meeting Gavin now was an even better experience. It sucked that it was only a few quick seconds, but those seconds were absolutely incredible. I walked into the area Gavin was waiting in, by myself, and heard him say, "Hey Beautiful, what's your name?" with a big smile on his face. The inner awkward child in me came out. I managed to say "Brianna," but I'm pretty sure I was dying on the inside. He shook my hand and said, "Hi Brianna, I'm Gavin. It's so nice to meet you."

I didn't know what to say or do. I knew we were going to take a quick picture together, because I had to hand security my phone for the camera, but I felt like that wasn't enough for conversation. So I awkwardly threw in, "I met you in 2008!" And I'm pretty sure my voice, like the rest of my body, was shaking. I'm sure I was so weird. But he was so, so nice and he replied, "I thought I recognized you! Thanks for coming!"Before I continue, let me just tell you how good Gavin smelt. That man smelt AMAZING! I'm so serious, right now all I want is a nice whiff of Gavin. And his voice....wow. He's a very talented singer, but I would gladly just listen to him talk for a few hours. And if I had the chance to listen to him, I may or may not have to start drooling. Oops #sorrynotsorry.

Jess got to meet Gavin after I did, and she was on cloud 9. Cloud 10, even. We were speechless for a few seconds, and then we couldn't help but talk about how sweet he was, how good he smelt, and how we missed him already.

After buying a few concert tees, Jess and I found our seats. The first performer, Wrabel, was already on stage, performing a few of his songs. He was very talented and kept the audience engaged. Everyone was seated for his performance, which was weird to me because I've stood at every concert I've attended, but I went with the flow. Wrabel got a well-deserved standing ovation after his last song, and after about 30 minutes, Andy Grammer came on stage.

Andy and his bandmates brought so much energy to the stage. Before Andy joined his band on stage, fans got to hear the instruments playing an upbeat song and enjoy the band's dance moves. Then, Andy came out and joined them on stage to perform Keep Your Head Up. The center instantly became universally happy. Everyone was having a good time. Andy performed a bunch of songs, including other hits such as It's Fine By Me, Blame It on the Stars, Honey I'm Good,Fresh Eyes, and others. He got the crowd on their feet, he actually joined us in the crowd (he was so close but so far away from me...literally came up to like 4 rows ahead of me), and he spoke to us as if we were his close friends. He shared stories about his mom and about his performance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. He dedicated a song to a mother in the audience. And Andy left a strong mark on all of us. After seeing him in concert, I can now say that I'm a huge fan of his. He's such a great guy and he deserves nothing but success and happiness.

Gavin came out next, around 30-40 minutes later. It was so surreal seeing him on stage because a few short hours ago, he had his arm around my waist for a picture. Gavin and his band also brought a ton of positive energy to the stage. Gavin apologized on multiple occasions because he wasn't feeling well. You could tell that he was doing his best, because honestly he didn't sound like he was sick at all until a few moments here and there. Gavin sang a few of his hits, including Chariot, Best I Ever Had, Soldier, In Love With A Girl, Something Worth Saving, Not Over You, I Don't Wanna Be. Gavin also covered a few songs, including Ride by Twenty-One Pilots, Let It Go by James Bay, and You Were Made For Me by Sam Cooke (this one was fully acoustic).

While Gavin was talking to the crowd, a childhood peer ran up towards the stage and showed Gavin a picture of himself at 11 years old at a day camp. As it turned out, they went to day camp together. They bonded, took selfies, and Gavin made sure that she was allowed backstage after the show so they could catch up. Gavin talked about his pride of being a New Yorker, and when he introduced his band to the crowd, he stressed personality traits that made them unique. Band members are very important, so it was awesome to hear about where each member was from and to learn that his bandmate who is also from New York teases Gavin about being a New Yorker.

I wrote about this concert experience because I didn't just have fun at the concert. I had an amazing time and I became even bigger fans of Andy and Gavin. If you were considering listening to their music or seeing them in concert, I highly recommend it!! They're incredibly talented musicians and performers, they have a genuine love for their trade, and they're so kind to everyone they're with.