9 Things You Will Miss From Campus Over Break

Being home isn't as glamorous as it sounds

2
Katy Perry - Last Friday Night

1. Your roommate(s).

You chose your roommate(s) in hopes of being compatible, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Despite any bickering that takes place, they're still the people you say 'good morning' and 'good night' to. When you come home, you get the privacy of having your own room, but soon realize how lonely that can get. This ends in creepy Snapchats of what Netflix show you're watching without them, but all will be normal back on campus.

2. All of the wonderful bars.

Happy hour seems to be a thing of the past once you arrive on your home turf. There are no more Hawaiian theme nights, sticky basement floors, table dancing crazies, or friends who are carding for the night. Hometown bars are generally the dad population of the neighborhood looking to escape for an hour or two -- fun.

3. Living on your own time schedule.

At school you wake up at 11 a.m., shower, go to class at 2 p.m., and then sleep until you go out at 9 p.m. -- living the dream. When you arrive home, it's expected that you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert at the the same time as your family which revolves around your brother's soccer tournaments, and your dad's nap schedule. Welcome home.

4. Feeling like your life is falling apart.

While this may seem like a stretch, you do miss panicking for the essays and the quizzes. The adrenaline rush course work gives you is not comparable to anything at home. And there is no better feeling than realizing you made it another week. Home can become so mundane.

5. Your friends.

Sure, you have friends at home, but they don't get your everyday life like your campus friends do. You'll miss the leisure of walking down the hall to have a night in with the people who can explain why you spent $57 on Jimmy John's last week. When you get home, nothing will stop your snap streaks or group chats from staying alive.

6. Not being held to immaculate standards.

When you get out of the shower, you can throw your towel on your bed, even though you know your sheets will get wet and your towel won't dry, but who is going to tell you 'no'? The simple answer is no one, until you step foot in a shower with no shoes, because that's how you now define 'home'. Being home makes you realize your clothes can make it into the hamper and your towel on the rack, but you simply do it because you'd rather not hear your mom yell at you for a month straight.

7. Sleeping (fairly) undisturbed.

In the cozy cubical you call your room, you can wake up without the sound of your parents knocking and asking if "you're alive in there," or the precious screams of your younger siblings. The only time you might enjoy being woken up is by a pet -- because everyone misses their pets more than anyone -- sorry, parents.

8. Your whole life being within a four-mile radius.

In the event that your family doesn't have your free time booked by the minute, nothing beats the close proximity of everything that you want or need. Where else provides educational assistance, liquor, fast food, clothing and band-aids on one street within walking distance of your bed?

9. Always being busy.

Aside from mounds of assigned readings and lab reports, you have an immense amount of free time (assuming you barely sleep), and it can be spent in various ways. Whether you spend your day/night at a party, bar, restaurant, student organization, or in your bed watching Netflix, you're always busy. Coming home is a quick change of pace, considering the time your parents go to bed is the time you would just be heading out to start the night.