8 Tips to Help You Survive Finals | The Odyssey Online

8 Tips to Help You Survive Finals

Relax. You've got this.

12
8 Tips to Help You Survive Finals
Oxygen

It's that time of the semester again— a time filled with hours and hours of studying, writing last minute papers, playing catch-up in classes in which you may have fallen behind at some point during the semester, drinking countless cups of coffee and pulling all-nighters; that time also known as "Finals Week."

For some of us, finals actually start this week, before the official Finals Week starts. Maybe you've been lucky enough to have a professor that doesn't give a final, making your last test the last requirement for their class for the semester. Or maybe you haven't been so lucky, and all of your finals are scheduled back to back, only increasing the amount of stress that you're feeling as the semester comes to a close.

Whatever your situation, and no matter your schedule for Finals Week, there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel. Take comfort in knowing that we are all in this together - all of us Bobcats will be spending (both late and early) hours in Alkek, trying to snag the best tables at Wake the Dead and Tantra, and consuming our body weight in coffee and energy drinks. We're all going to be feelin' the struggle, but we all are capable.

In case my tiny, coffee-induced pep-talk hasn't been enough advice in itself, here are some realistic tips for surviving the next two weeks until summer begins:

1. Don't panic.

The first approach to taking finals is to not freak out. This might sound cliché or cause an eye-roll—how are we not supposed to stress? However, drawing out a clear plan of action and preparing a study schedule will be way more productive than allowing yourself to be paralyzed by anxiety. Baby steps.

2. Don't be too relaxed.

Sometimes it can be easier to do absolutely nothing when it feels like there is so much to do. We've all been there. However, going into your finals and just "winging it" will probably not produce good results, just as much as over-stressing can cause you to be unproductive. It's all about balance.

3. Stick to study habits that work for you.

By this time in the semester, you (hopefully) know what study methods help you retain the most information. Use notecards. Reread the material. Create your own online tests using Quizlet. Go back and redo homework assignments. Think of possible essay questions and practice writing them. Complete the review if your professor provides one. Whatever study methods have helped you the most in the past are the ones you should use in preparation for finals.

4. Hook up.

And no, I'm not talking about "Netflix and chill." Get together with friends or classmates and form study groups. Chances are that you'll find the help you need on any last-minute questions if you're surrounded by people in the same or similar classes. That, or you'll at least feel better about yourself if you come to discover that you're all still lost, and you'll be able to figure things out together.

5. Detach from social media.

Doing a lot of research online or using online study tools can quickly and unnoticeably transition into an hour or two of scrolling through Twitter, refreshing your Facebook feed, or watching pointless animal videos on YouTube. Use websites like Cold Turkey or Focal Filter to temporarily block your computer or phone from social media to make sure you stay on task.

6. Make time for breaks and refreshing activities.

We all have to keep from going absolutely insane, scheduling study breaks is equally as important as studying itself. Without doing so, you allow yourself no time to clear your head or to switch gears into studying for a different subject. Allot yourself a certain reasonable amount of time to take a break, and do something you enjoy. Listen to a podcast. Watch a movie. Meditate. Take a quick swim in the beautiful river we have right at our fingertips. Whatever it is that helps you relax and refocus, use that as your outlet during the season of finals.

7. Get adequate sleep, stay hydrated and eat well.

These might sound like the most unrealistic tips of them all, but I promise they will do you good. Depriving yourself of sleep, water, and the right nutrients will only counteract all of the hard work you apply towards preparing for finals. Sleep provides better retention of information, water keeps those caffeine jitters at bay, and the right nutrients keep your body and brain fueled. Your body will thank you for taking care of it during a time when you're under high levels of stress. Promise.

8. Don't let others psych you out.

When it comes to taking your actual finals, it can feel intimidating when other students finish their exam before you do. Block everyone else out and focus only on your test. Who knows? They could have finished early because they weren't very prepared. Make no comparisons and concentrate on applying everything you've studied.

Staying sane during preparation for finals and then actually doing well on them might seem almost impossible at times. However, if you stay focused, work hard, and have confidence in yourself, a lot can be achieved. Within the next two weeks, finals will be over, the stress will be gone, and summer break will begin; that is, until summer school starts and we go through this process all over again.