Eight Things That Make Katy High School Football Great | The Odyssey Online

Eight Things That Make Katy High School Football Great

In honor of their eighth State Championship.

598

Katy High School is known throughout the nation for its football team. The Katy Tiger football team has a long-standing tradition of excellence and just obtained their eighth state title this past weekend in a 34-7 victory over Lake Travis in the Class 6A Division II championship game. This excellence goes far beyond just the football players, the whole community helps contribute to it. In honor of their eighth state championship, here are eight things that make Katy football great.

1. The players

Obviously the team would be no where without its' players. Kids are raised to be Katy Tigers from birth. Dedication, tradition, and discipline is instilled in them from an early age and contributes to the success seen on the field.

2. The coaching staff

Katy High School has a phenomenal coaching staff headed by Coach Gary Joseph. He has been head coach since 2004, and won high school National Coach of the Year in 2012 and was just inducted into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. His players, the school, and community respect him for how he not only instills the athletic skills needed to win the game, but also teaches his team how to hold themselves with grace and integrity.

3. The fans

A football team would nothing without its' fans and Katy has the best. At every game the stands are filled with red and white. The fans are known as the sea of red because they fill any and every stadium no matter how far they have to travel. Not only do they travel to all games, but they stay until the very end. The fans energy and support is a huge part of the team's success.

4. The student section

The student section is loud and stands the entire game. They bring signs, paint their body, and cheer on their friends. It is very cool to see the players' peers come and support the team through every game.

5. The band

That Roarin' Band from Tiger land is responsible for bringing a big portion of the energy in the stadium. They play the fight song at every first down and every time the team scores. They are also constantly learning new songs to keep the crowd and players fired up, and always provide excellent entertainment at halftime.

6. The drill team and cheerleaders

These girls practice every day of the week to ensure that they are prepared to cheer on the team. They not only cheer on the boys and provide a great halftime performance, but also are responsible for decorating the stadium, school, and town throughout the season.

7. The run-through signs

Other schools have expensive tunnels that the players run through, but not Katy. Katy prides themselves in their run through signs that the cheerleaders spend all week making. This is just one of the many ways Katy strives to uphold tradition.

8. The tradition of excellence

The team, the school, and the community plan each year for 16 weeks of football. This mindset helps lead to success the Katy Tigers continue to see each year on the field.

"When excellence becomes a tradition, greatness has no limits."