7 Obscure Movie Facts That Will Blow Your Mind

Some of these facts will shock you.

79

Movies have always held the power to inspire cult fandoms to appear and fawn over their favorite movie moments. We all belong to a fandom one way or another, but no matter how much we think we know about George Lucas epics, Martin Scorsese dramas or Disney animated features, we'll always have more to discover. Studios can be incredibly secretive about what happens behind the scenes, and it can become someone's personal mission to leak nearly classified information to the internet all to satisfy the movie-going appetite of others. I'm not going to assume most movie-goers are doing this; we just want to be entertained for a solid hour or two. Still, read on.

7. Miles Teller and Emma Watson were supposed to play the leading roles in "La La Land."

That's right. Watson dropped out of the Damian Chazelle-headed project due to scheduling conflicts with "Beauty and The Beast," but Teller, who played a leading role in Chazelle's last feature, "Whiplash" and who reportedly demanded a $4 million pay raise for this film, has said that his agent called him saying that Chazelle told Lionsgate that Teller was no longer "creatively right" for the project and moved along without him. Ouch! (PopSugar)

6. There's a deleted scene from "Mean Girls" where Damian auditions for American Idol.

Damian, the wise-cracking, fabulous best friend of Lindsey Lohan's character in this teen classic nearly got a chance to shine in a cut scene that reveals what happens to him after high school. The scene has never been officially released, but actor Daniel Franzese told Cosmopolitan that his ending would have been that he would audition in front of Simon Cowell, who was going to call him chubby, run up on the stage and punch him. Ouch, poor guy. (Seventeen)

5. "Life of Pi" put an entire special effects company out of business.

This beauty of a film based on the best-selling novel had a budget of approximately $120,000,000, and garnered financial and critical success, earning back a little bit more at the box office than its original budget. However, three months after the film's release, its partnering visual effects and animation studio, Rhythm and Hues, declared bankruptcy due to financial struggles resulting from the making of "Pi." This led to hundreds of workers being laid off and more to protest outside the 2013 Academy Awards where "Pi" received an Oscar for Best Visual Effects. Director Ang Lee was criticized for not acknowledging the team in his acceptance speech and for his earlier complaints about the cost of visual effects production. What a mess. (Wikipedia)

4. Someone put PCP into the clam chowder served to the cast and crew on the set of "Titanic."

On the last night of filming in Nova Scotia, some unknown pranksters mixed the drug PCP into people's meals and as a result, 80 people were sent to the hospital after experiencing hallucinations. Luckily, this didn't include the film's stars, Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio, or its director, James Cameron. Two chefs who had been recently fired at the time were quickly blamed for the incident. So it wasn't an iceberg that sunk the Titanic; it was angel dust! (Buzzfeed)

3. Heath Ledger locked himself in a hotel room for months to get into character for "The Dark Knight Rises."

In order to nail down the psychological turmoil the Joker faces perfectly, actor Heath Ledger took extreme measures in creating the look, mannerisms and bodily tics himself. Besides purposely experiencing total isolation, he created the original makeup design as based on the artwork of Francis Bacon and wrote in a diary that contained the things he thought the Joker might find amusing, including AIDS and landmines. Um, wow? (ShortList)

2. Actor Brandon Lee died while filming "The Crow."

Now, this fact is actually very well-known. Lead Brandon Lee, son of kung-fu actor Bruce Lee, was filming a scene involving a prop gun, when the other actor wielding the gun fired real bullets that were trapped inside the gun's barrel, hitting Lee in the abdomen and mortally wounding him. He was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he underwent 6 hours of surgery, but was pronounced dead afterward. The shooting was declared an accident, and filming continued without Lee with the use of stand-ins and computer generated imagery. Scary stuff, huh? (Wikipedia)

1. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" was cast at age 35.

Actress Shirley Henderson will always be known in the history books as the oldest person to play a Hogwarts student. Her squeaky voice and short stature only lent to her convincing portrayal of the ghost forever 15 years old. Nothing else to say. MIND BLOWN. (Seventeen).And that's only a few out of many, many stories and urban legends coming from the mystery of movie sets! Let me know what your favorite movies are, or your favorite obscure facts!