The 7 Most Important Driving Tips for Winter Weather

This is the most lame thing you'll read today, and it may save your life.

73

This maybe be the most lame thing you read today. It might also be the most useful.

Driving, even of itself, is a daunting task. When you get behind the wheel of a car you have control of a several thousand pound hunt of metal and bolts. You are not only in control of your own fate, but that of your passengers and others on the streets.

Unfortunately, the elements may not always be in your favor. Wintertime weather is notorious for terrible driving conditions. Whether it's snow or ice you're up against, you can use these tips as a reminder of what you can do to make it to your destination safely.

1. Properly Prepare Your Car For the Road

Making sure your car is free of snow and ice is going to make driving a lot less of a headache for you and safer for others on the road. Legally you are required to remove all snow and ice from your car before you hit the road. You should always start by running your defroster in your car to warm up whatever is on your windshield for easier removal. Never dump hot water on your windshield to melt the ice, unless you don't like your windshield. You should use a plastic scraper so not to scratch your glass. A brush will work best for removing snow without scratching the paint. Don't use your wipers to remove snow from the windshield. They aren't built for heavy weights.

2. Look Alive

Distracted driving is a problem even in good conditions. Make sure your eyes are on the road and consistently scanning for animals, icy patches, and other cars. This falls right in line with driving sober and alert. Nothing is important enough that you should rush to get there by driving tired or under the influence. If you have a deadline then plan ahead and leave early.

3. Stay Calm

This is easier said that done when you're skidding or spinning, however it is sound advice. Snap decisions are what lead to snapped necks. When you're in a tough spot, don't panic. Don't slam on your breaks. Instead you should take your foot off the accelerator, look where you want to go, and steer where you want to go. Eventually, your car will slow to a halt, at which point you can start over.

4. Keep a Safe Following Distance

We seem to have a real problem with tailgaiting. In good conditions AAA recommends keeping a following distance of four seconds. In snow or ice you should double that. It takes much longer to stop on snow than dry conditions. Better safe than sorry.

5. Tread Hills Lightly

Hills are the bad news bears of winter driving. You shouldn't floor it going up a hill, less you want your wheels to spin. Instead you should build inertia before you reach the hill and slow at the crest. You should also never stop going up a hill. Chances are you might not be able to build enough power to keep going and you'll have to start over from flat ground.

6. Winterize Your Car

This might not seem important but it is. You should consider installing winter wipers that don't collect ice on them, all season or snow tires, keep your washer fluid full, don't let your fuel tank fall below half tank, keep an emergency pack on you should you choose to take a long road trip, make sure to have your vehicle serviced regularly (usually important, however it would be worse to be stuck somewhere in the cold), monitor your tire pressure, and always make sure your exhaust pipe is free of snow.

7. Don't Spin Your Tires

Spinning your tires when you're stuck in snow is a moot point. Instead of just digging a deeper hole, you should take a shovel to the snow and clean a clear path for you to navigate through easily without burning rubber.

8. Stay At Home

This may sound lame, but if you don't have to go anywhere, then don't. You could be the best driver on the road, but that doesn't mean other drivers are any good. It's better to be that lame lock in when the weather is bad than to risk your life.