6 Ways You Can Increase Happiness

6 Ways You Can Increase Happiness

The small things can make the biggest impact.

14
6 Ways You Can Increase Happiness
st.hzcdn.com

We all live busy lives. Most of the time it is hard to find time for ourselves. The best way to live a healthy life is to work on staying positive in your everyday life. We all have bad days. Whether you got out of bed the wrong side, didn't get enough sleep or just feel blue; sometimes the world feels like a place you'd rather not enter. Fortunately, there are simple changes you can make to your daily routine that will significantly reduce the chances of those bad days.

Surround yourself with positive people.

Dr. Nicholas Christakis and James Fowler, researchers from Harvard and University of San Diego, found that each additional 'positive' friend increases a person's probability of being happy by 9 percent. They studied 4,739 people from 1983 to 2003, analyzing their happiness every few years using a standard measure. Their research showed that happy people tend to be located in the center of their social networks and in large clusters of happy people.

Don’t delay trying new things.

Remember how you have always wanted to try skydiving? Try to take the time to try those things that you have always wanted to, because life is short!

Pull out those photographs from childhood.

We all tend to forget those simpler times in our lives, when we were young and responsibilities were at a minimum. Looking through old pictures can boost your mood more than a piece of chocolate. Researchers at the Open University examined how much people's moods increased after eating a chocolate snack, watching TV, listening to music, or looking at personal photos. Looking at personal photos increased the positivity of people 11 percent, the highest of the three scenario’s.

Laugh daily (it’s better than money).

Do you spend time each day laughing? Do you purposefully find something to laugh about? When you laugh, you release a happy hormone called oxytocin. It’s a hormone that uplifts us as we share experiences with others. If you need something to laugh about come find me.

Cherish friendships.

The best friendships are those that take little to no effort. You can be apart from the person for months, yet come back and pickup where you left off. These people should make your day better than it was, and continuously help to make you feel better not only on the outside, but on the inside too.

Don’t compare yourself to others.

This is definitely easier said than done, but if you can condition your mind to focus on the good that youare doing and the good things in yourlife, you will not be tempted to focus on how others are doing. Practicing this will help you find who you are as an individual. It is important to find your true self and feel good about who you are.

We all live busy lives. Staying positive and utilize happiness. This is essential for living a healthy life. Find time for yourself and do what you love, because life is short and you only get one chance to do it.