Things Kids Do Better Than Adults | The Odyssey Online

Things Kids Do Better Than Adults

Some you learn and some you lose

568
Things Kids Do Better Than Adults

Like comparing a pair of old glasses to a pair of 3D glasses, kids see the world differently than adults. Throughout childhood, we are gifted with an unrestricted imagination that freely roams like a wild stallion. Young children definitely can't balance a checkbook, cook a gourmet meal (unless it is PB&J, which is actually pretty gourmet for twenty-somethings) or color in-between the lines like many adults can. However, they are often better, in a sense, at doing certain things that we often lose the ability to do as we age.

They are straightforward.

When they know what they want, kids ask (or even demand) for exactly that. They are aware that in order to have things their way, they must either ask for it or take it. Children probably are told "no" to their requests a hundred times each day, but it doesn't stop them from continuing to try. And when all else fails, they know how to jump onto the counter and reach into the cookie jar without leaving a single trace of crumbs behind.

Unlike adults, who constantly fear rejection, children understand that it is an essential part of the path to success. They know that what makes them happy is what matters the most, whether it is choosing what they want for their birthday or ordering ice cream for breakfast on Sunday morning at the diner. They don't beat around the bush or care about what other people will think of them, even if it takes being told no one hundred times first.

They believe in miracles.

Very young people always give others the benefit of the doubt and see the glass as half full. Children believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and just about anything that motivates them to see the world as a beautiful place where good things happen to good people. They go through their days with the notion that they will be rewarded with a present after being nice as well as throughout the process of growing up. And in the end, they are.

Telling creative lies.

Seriously, where do kids come up with some of the things they say? When a young adult is late to school or work, they often just say, "Oh, I was stuck in traffic," despite the fact that everyone can see the glorious Starbucks drink they are hiding behind their backs. When a child is in trouble with their parents for misbehaving, imaginative stories flow out of them like air as to what happened. They couldn't do their homework because they had to save the world from fire-breathing dragons. And then their dog ate it.

They have a vivid imagination.

Kids can look at a pile of old macaroni, glue, and a piece of paper and somehow turn it into a masterpiece that will forever be used as a Christmas tree ornament. They can truly channel their creativity to express themselves in ways that many adults cannot. While adults may see a cardboard box, a child sees a fort to play with or an airplane they can hop on and explore the jungle with. This allows them to truly live with no bounds and find enjoyment in every little thing that they do.

They show their true emotion.

As we get older, we are sometimes taught to hide any sad or negative emotions we experience in order to avoid appearing weak. We sometimes believe that it is easier to pretend to be happy and wear a fake smile, rather than letting others know that our Monday is being extra Monday since the moment we spilled Starbucks all over the car when stopping short at a red light (which definitely was the red light's fault).

On the other hand, as children, we cried constantly. We threw temper tantrums. We yelled and screamed until the entire room was staring at us. But we also laughed louder than anyone else did at a silly knock-knock joke. We donned out hugs to anyone and everyone. We got excited about free stickers at the doctors office and held hands with whoever was around that was taller than us when crossing the street. There were no games or hiding as every emotion was truly felt and displayed.

They are effortlessly happy.

Have you ever met a permanently depressed child? OK, have you ever met a child whose tears couldn't be dried with a giant ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles? Young children are uninhibitedly happy, and not just because of colorful ice cream toppings, although they do make life that much brighter. They don't stress about their dating life, who isn't texting them back, or feel guilty for eating pizza past bedtime. Maybe it's because they do not have as many responsibilities. But it also possibly because they are not yet jaded from the less than perfect things in the world around them. They still find a million and one reasons to smile, even if they have lost both of their front teeth at the same time.

Children have a unique innocence that lets them wake up every day as if it is Christmas morning where every small happiness they experience is like getting every present on their wish list -- even if it is just because of the rainbow sprinkles.