6 Reasons 'Plant Lady' Is The New 'Cat Lady' In 2017 | The Odyssey Online

6 Reasons 'Plant Lady' Is The New 'Cat Lady' In 2017

No fur, no litter, no problem.

1374
Favim

I currently own fourteen indoor plants. I have names for some of them. Tina, my eldest, is three years old. I love them all dearly, and it is very hard deciding who will go with me to school to live in my apartment.

Here are reasons why being a plant lady is the new cat lady.

Disclaimer: I have three cats, and I love them all.

1. Plants don’t shit.

I have two indoor cats, and I feel like every twenty minutes someone in my house is scooping their litter. This is a messy, smelly, and all around annoying task to complete, without exploring the real possibility that the cat shit somewhere that is not the litter box. This is not a worry with plants. Additionally, plants do not shed like cats do. I understand that leaves may fall from a plant, but that is usually when you're doing a great job of killing it!

2. Plants improve air quality.

It is a well-known fact that plants release oxygen that we need to breathe. Surrounding yourself with plants can have a positive effect on the air inside or outside of your home. Surrounding yourself with cats can leave fur, hairballs, and shit everywhere. This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

3. Plants don't have to be difficult to care for.

If you don’t have a green thumb, some plants are not going to be for you. However, other plants like succulents and cacti are extremely easy to take care of. They do not require as much sunlight or water as high maintenance plants do. Even though cats do not require as much attention as dogs, they are still a lot to handle when being compared to plants.

4. Plants can be surprising.

There have been a few occasions in which I did not realize I had a flowering plant until it bloomed! Other times, I have been shocked to see how large a plant has grown or been impressed by its ability to scale great heights. When I think of surprises that have to do with cats, only negative images come to mind, and they all involve me retrieving Clorox wipes and paper towels.

5. Plants take up less space.

I am able to fit fourteen plants comfortably in my room between my windowsills and a shelving unit. Even though cats are generally small, they take up a lot more room than just their bodies. Litter boxes take up a lot of room, as well as the areas of your house that are an official property of your cat; their favorite chair, pillow, or another area they have claimed as if they are paying for the house as well.

6. Plants are a hobby.

I'll admit, it sucks that you can't really cuddle with a plant like you could a cat (unless you want dirt all over the place). However, taking care of plants is a fun hobby. You can always replant them into a neat pot or the ground, depending on the plant. Watering your plants can be made fun with a cute watering can. You can also rearrange or move their location to suit you. Just watch that your pest of a cat doesn't knock it over!