6 Myths About Bernie Sanders Being Unelectable Busted - The Odyssey Online

6 Myths About Bernie Sanders Being Unelectable Busted

Despite doubt and bewilderment, history shows a successful politician.

24
DonkeyHotey 'Flickr'

In recent months, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has grown substantially in popularity with his inspiring messages of Democratic-Socialistic programs, that he claims warrant a “political revolution”. Although his popularity and grassroots campaign are robust, voters of all affiliation have been stuck on some myths about his chances of ever being elected president, six common ones are busted here.

1. “He has no experience”

Although many have never heard of Sanders prior to the election, he has more experience as an elected official than any other candidate in the race, period. He has spent 24 years in both houses of congress, serving in the House Of Representatives for 16 years, and in the Senate for the past 8 years. Sanders also has something that his opponent, Hillary Clinton does not-- elected executive experience, serving as mayor of Vermont's largest city, Burlington for 8 years. In comparison, although she has held the appointed position of Secretary of State, Clinton has only 8 years of elected service as a Senator, making Sanders’ elected experience exceed her’s by almost four times.

2. “His legislation could never get past the Republican congress”

Many Democratic voters who are appealed to Sanders’ vision of a community based country worry that it is unrealistic that such “extreme” policies coming from a self described “Democratic Socialist” could never get by a Republican controlled congress. Throughout his over 20 years in congress, Sanders has had a record of getting amendments passed by a Republican controlled congress on numerous occasions. When he arrived at the Senate, his bipartisan coalition legislating only increased- he has worked with Senator John McCain on veteran’s issues and former Republican Congressman Ron Paul on auditing the Federal Reserve. Although Sanders holds very progressive views, and caucuses with Democrats, he has always held the affiliation of an Independent, this affiliation has enabled him to work with both Democrats and Republicans to get things done. Something that will not cease if elected president.

3. “He can’t win the primary”

When he first announced his candidacy in April, Sanders was seen as not a legitimate threat to Clinton. However, since campaigning, he has drawn record crowds and has skyrocketed in the polls as his message has spread. In the summer, Sanders was seen far behind Clinton in Iowa and tied with her in New Hampshire. Today, Sanders came in a close second in Iowa, (“virtually tied” as many have stated), and is ahead in the New Hampshire polls by double digits. Although he does not have the endorsements or money Clinton has, he has built up a reputation as a formidable opponent to Clinton for the nomination, currently trailing her by only 7 delegates.

4. “He can’t win the general election”

Sanders’ political career was started by a huge upset that baffled the establishment, when he defeated a popular incumbent mayor of Burlington. Since then, he has defeated Republican opponents for federal and local elected offices. There has been some concern that should he get the nomination, his far left views would propel independents to vote for the Republican candidate. Despite this rumor, a large amount of moderates and independents have flocked to Sanders’ campaign and he has been ahead of Clinton in general election polls when pitted against GOP contenders such as the rich asshole, Cruz, and Rubio. Unlike Clinton, who has a historical association with the Democratic party, Sanders has been an Independent his whole political life, and has attracted moderate voters since holding office, something that will work to his advantage should he reach the general election.

5.“He’s too old”

Although it is true that Sanders is the eldest of the candidates at age 74, little impacts have been found on his performance. He is still able to campaign aggressively across the country and is in good health. In fact, for a politician he is not as old in comparison, over a dozen members of the Senate are older than Sanders. If elected to two full terms, he would be 83 at the end of his presidency, which would make him the oldest to date. However, the current holder of the oldest president, Ronald Reagan thrived in his seventies as president, even surviving a gunshot wound. Although Sanders is older than most, he is by no means “too old”.

6. “He’ll never be able to pay for all of this programs”

Sanders’ promises of free public college education, universal healthcare, and a $15 federal minimum wage sound appealing to many voters but skeptics are weary of how he proposes to pay for such programs, with an already massive accumulating national debt making many voters feel uneasy. Sanders’ campaign have released proposals to pay for his myriad proposed expansive social programs. They are rooted in increasing the amount that the wealthiest Americans pay and closing loopholes and in corporate giveaways. Some of the highlighted solutions proposed by Sanders are: making corporations pay taxes on offshore profits they have stored, lifting the cap on taxable income over $250,000, an increased income based premium paid by employers, and a payroll tax on the average taxpayer. According to Sanders, all of these solutions would generate billions in revenue and pay for the social programs suggested.