6 Lessons From 'Finding Dory' | The Odyssey Online

6 Lessons From 'Finding Dory'

Who knew that so much could be learned from an animated fish?

4777
6 Lessons From 'Finding Dory'

A sweet, heartwarming story of a couple of clownfish and their dear, forgetful friend, Dory, "Finding Nemo" earned its way into the hearts of children and families everywhere in 2003. But Disney is often caught keeping its audience waiting, and after 13 years of petitions, teasers and anticipation, they have finally done it: "Finding Dory," the long-awaited sequel, is now in theaters. (Warning: Some minimal spoilers may follow.)

Ellen DeGeneres voices the blue and yellow fish that Disney fans know and love, and rather than playing another sidekick role in the "Finding Nemo" sequel, this story focuses on her. As Dory battles her infamous short-term memory loss in a journey to find her family, Disney brings back many of the beloved characters from the first movie, including Crush and Squirt–everyone's favorite sea turtles. Disney did not, however, limit itself to its past pattern of success. Many new characters were added to make "Finding Dory" refreshing and new, while still captivating and satisfying "Finding Nemo" biggest fans.

While a Pixar movie such as "Finding Dory" typically targets an audience ranging from 4-10 years old, as I sat in my local theater to watch perhaps the most anticipated film of the year, I was surrounded by mostly teenagers and young adults ranging from 14-22. After all, we were the ones who have waited the full 13 years for this.

As I watched "Finding Nemo" for the first time over a decade ago, I saw a thrilling, humorous and uplifting story that instantly became a classic for my generation. But after watching "Finding Dory" through a more mature, adult lens, I found it to be much more than an entertaining plot. Believe it or not, some valuable lessons can be learned from this little blue, animated fish.

1. Don't let your weaknesses define you.

Dory's weakness is pretty obvious–her character has short-term memory loss that causes her to forget just about everything that comes out of her mouth. When Dory suddenly remembers her family and her home in the beginning of the movie, Marlin quickly points out that she can't possibly find her way home if she can barely remember what she was doing five minutes earlier. But Dory doesn't let his cynicism bother her, and brings him and Nemo along for the ride.

2. Life is an adventure.

On a whim, Dory decides that she needs to find her parents. She knows that she will need to cross the ocean to California, but she is ready for the challenge and excitement. Without hesitation or contemplation, Dory is ready to do what she feels fit, just as she eagerly joined Marlin–then a complete stranger–to rescue Nemo one year (at least, one "Pixar year") earlier.

3. You are capable of more than you can imagine.

As Dory goes on this pilgrimage to find her roots, many situations occur during which she is unsure of the next step. But as she goes on, her memory comes back to her in bits and pieces, often just when she needs it most. Never letting doubt cross her mind, Dory learns to follow her instincts. One of these inclinations–her love of seashells–turns out to be a lesson her parents had taught her as a child, and allows her to reunite with her parents, who never once doubted her capabilities.

4. Family isn't restricted to blood.

Once Dory finds her parents, her thoughts quickly jump to the family she has known for the past year–Marlin and Nemo. And even though her biological family was finally in tact, she could not rest until everyone she cared about was together and safe. Her rescue mission to save Marlin and Nemo was not easy, and even resulted in her own safety being jeopardized, but Dory didn't care. She would risk anything for the people she loves.

5. What's so great about a plan?

Dory's lighthearted, impulsive nature is part of her charm, and time after time, she finds herself in some tricky situations because of it. She makes decisions on the fly while trusting her gut, and, as previously mentioned, is always ready for adventure. She never worries about knowing what's next, but always continues on and trusts that everything will work out.

6. Just keep swimming.

Everyone can learn something from Dory's famous motto. No matter how difficult or hopeless a situation may seem, rather than panicking or dwelling on the past, it is best to just keep moving forward with heads held high. Staying positive is key in any journey, whether physical or emotional. It is a imperative lesson for anyone hoping to make progress–it just happens to be taught best by a blue, animated fish.

When Disney was working on "Finding Dory," they probably did not anticipate the effect it would have on older audiences. They wrote an entertaining, uplifting story that children are already falling in love with. But what truly makes Disney magic is its ability to reach people of all ages. It's stories have a universality that few entertainment providers can accomplish. Whether it was intentional or not, "Finding Dory" has already worked its way into the hearts of people of all ages, and the 13 years were well worth the wait.