6 Emotions You Have When Your Undergraduate Career is Over, As Told By "The Avengers"

Because I like Marvel more than DC Comics...

26
Erin Beatty Photo

Regardless of how you felt about the school you went to for your Undergraduate career, there are certain feelings most people go through when everyone else is packing and buying school supplies.

I just started my first job outside of school about a month ago (yay!) and every week since, one or two of the outside employees has returned to college. Honestly, it was a very weird feeling. Anyway, here are some of those emotions as told by The Avengers. Cause I'm a dork.

1. Relief

Early on in the summer following your final semester you experience graduation however you intend to. Whether you enjoy the celebratory activities at the college or your own home, you celebrate the relief of being done. You worked hard, or maybe just acted like you did, and you earned yourself the mist expensive piece of paper you'll ever have. Well, unless you get married. But anyway you celebrate that you are finished, before it dawns on you what that really means.

2. Independent Relaxation

You give yourself a few weeks after graduation to enjoy yourself. Maybe you party, maybe you sleep, you're just enjoying that moment of not needing to schedule everything in your life around school. For the first time in years your social calendar is no longer dictated by 'ooh, exams are coming up. I should study' or 'I procrastinated WAY too long on that assignment, it's due tomorrow'. If you had an on or off campus job that most likely ended when school did as well, so now your afternoons and weekends.

3. Frustration

All of the questions that you are nowhere near having an answer to are being asked by everyone you know. "What do you want to do with your life? How's the job search going?" Objectively you know people only ask because they care and want to help you achieve your goals. But after a while of hearing the same questions over and over again you feel a little frustrated. If you're like me, you know you have the impending doom of student loan payments and you might not have any job prospects. I thought I was going to explode every time someone asked, mostly because my answer never seemed to change.

4. Fear

At this point it's June, maybe July, and you are scrambling to find a job or an internship. Maybe you've considered going to Graduate school, but the never ending hours are Netflix are starting to weigh on your spirit (not that we would ever admit it). We're worried for our future. If you're one of the lucky ones you had a job lined up before graduation, but now maybe your social life is out of balance. Whatever the case is, your life does not have the same balance and purpose it did before. You might not have thought so in May, but you're starting to realize you're actually going to miss certain things about your undergraduate life. You're trying to fight off your feelings and everything you're dealing with, but it's like you're punching air.

5. Reality Sets In

You've had some interviews, maybe one of those interviews turned into a job. If not,you figure something out to make some money. You have realized by now that your dream job is not going to fall out of the sky and into your lap on a silver platter. There's no shame in being a 20 something year old person putting out babysitting or grass cutting flyers. You try to reign in your spending habits because you do not have the same spending power you once did. I know this guy isn't actually an Avenger, but at least he was in one of the movies right?

6. Adaptation

As you watch the calendar roll by, this summer feels different because you know you will not be packing up your entire life and moving into your dorm room. Every post you see about people going back to school makes you wish you were going back with them. Not necessarily for the school work, but for the friends and memories you made there. Your home away from home, and your second family, will be moving on making memories with knew people. But you remember all the good times you had with them...

7. Acceptance

...And realize that you cannot stop them from moving on, and that you need to move on to new things too. Maybe you're not there yet, maybe you were there two months ago. But just because you both proceed to the next chapter doesn't mean that you can't have another jaw-dropping adventure together. You can all do your own thing, and then meet up for some shawarma.