6 Easy Steps For Keeping The Christmas Spirit

Replace the stress of holiday preparations with Christmas cheer.

53
Sarah Marie Williamson

For a lot of people, the middle of December means celebrating the end of final exams or trying to find the best gifts for friends and families. After all, Christmas is only about a week away! Of course, this also means fighting crowds, driving around busy parking lots, and spending more money in a weekend than you do the rest of the year. The stress of it all can easily lead to an acute case of “the winter blues.” To prevent yourself from exhibiting symptoms like a cold shoulder during this holiday, try to take the Christmas season one step at a time to enjoy it to its fullest.

1. Let it go.

Not to sound too cliche, but one of the best ways to regain the Christmas spirit is to step back from the stress and let it all go. If all Christmas preparations feel more like a chore than a treat, the process might be robbing you from a little Christmas cheer. Even though some preparations like shopping and decorating might feel necessary, there are ways to fulfill each task with a smile on your face. First, try not to put all these responsibilities ahead of family time. Those Christmas cards you have not filled out yet and are now stressing over? Putting them to the side for one more night will not ruin Christmas, especially if it means that now you can watch a holiday movie or read a Christmas story with your loved ones. Similarly, take the hassle out of holiday shopping by inviting a friend to tag along. Now this chore can become a shopping spree.

2. Go traditional.

Some holiday traditions are classics because of the way they create Christmas cheer almost immediately. When the Christmas spirit is in doubt, turn back to some of these timeless traditions. There is really no right or wrong way to celebrate Christmas. First, let’s talk about the tree. You do not necessarily need to go chop your own down or even buy a real one, but every home should have a tree during this season. There is just something homey about it. Also, if you prefer an artificial tree, consider lighting pine-scented candles for that rural touch. Next, think about your decorations. Have you ever strung popcorn as a Christmas garland? It might hurt during the first few attempts, but this could be a great bonding experience. Another bonding tradition you might enjoy is caroling, which spreads the Christmas cheer all through a neighborhood. Then, after busying yourself all day, relax in front of a roaring fire and sip hot chocolate or cider. Revel in the little things.

3. Get crafty.

This might sound challenging at first, but making your own decorations and gifts is a fun way to create a personal Christmas. Research and look online for ideas to make rather than buy your Christmas experience this year. Many tree decorations can be crafted with just glass, glitter, and glue, which would also be a great way to entertain the youngest family members. As for wreaths, see what kind of greenery you already have then embellish it with ribbons. Of course, consider visiting your local art store for bolder ways to design your own decorations. You could even give homemade decorations to others as presents. Making your own gifts is a great way to show people that you care enough to devote not just money but also your time.

4. Enjoy the outdoors.

Even though Christmas is also a time of sniffles and chills, step outside to experience this wonderland. If there is snow where you live, engage in all the usual winter activities like making snowmen, having snow ball fights, and participating in winter sports. For many people, this kind of enjoyment only comes once or twice a year. Even if there is not snow, there is still beauty to be found in nature’s changing landscape. The air is crisp, especially during an early morning stroll. Of course, an added bonus to this outdoor activity is the chance to dress in all the cozy Christmas fashions. Put on your boots and gloves and get ready to face winter.

5. Experience a spiritual Christmas.

For many people, Christmas is a time to “remember the reason for the season” and appreciate life’s miracles. Churches offer several services, such as Christmas dinners and candle lightings, to help spiritual people get in the Christmas spirit. These might sound simple, but the smallest fellowship can truly impact someone’s holiday cheer. Churches are also a great place for finding the expected and cherished Christmas hymnals that touch many people’s hearts. Even if you are not religious, consider participating in this kind of fellowship, especially if you are searching for a more spiritual connection this year.

6. Give instead of receive.

In addition to enjoying our families and blessings, Christmas is also a time to remember people who are less fortunate. So many people, often those inside our communities, are experiencing the holiday season without loved ones or the financial ability to give to others. Fortunately, there are multiple ways to help those in need. Volunteering to serve meals or donate time is a great way to not only show people that you care but also establish lasting bonds. There are also more convenient ways to gives back. For instance, think about donating toys or even metaphorically adopting a family or child this Christmas season so that our youngest citizens will not feel forgotten. There are opportunities to give back scattered across probably most towns and cities in America. Even offering a dollar or two to volunteers dressed in Santa suits outside of stores will provide someone with a little more Christmas spirit, which should encourage yours as well.