5 Things You Should Tell Yourself Every Day

(Because we all come to believe the lies that the monsters create in our heads.)

35

No one is as hard on you as you. So I challenge you to look in the mirror and talk yourself through the following list and I hope you experience happiness knowing you are you and you are beautiful.

1. You are not defined by the number of followers you have.

As cool as it might seem to have hundreds of followers and likes on pictures or statuses, this does not define you. It is so easy to want people to now your name and who you are, but what ever happened to quality over quantity? Maybe we should start to focus on the changes we can make in the world, without needing to post it.

2. You are not the size of your jeans.

Waist trainers. Crash diets. Surgery. I mean, the list could go on and on. Be healthy. Fuel your body with good food while enjoying yourself and being h a p p y. Don’t try a juice cleanse because your favorite celebrity says it’s the only reason she has the curves she does. Our bodies are different, that is what makes this world beautiful. It is not the be all and end all of your existence, although our world has made it seem that way. So enjoy those fries and order dessert because tomorrow isn’t promised and who wants their last meal to be a salad with steamed veggies?

3. You are not your reputation.

Okay, so maybe you went a little wild in high school and did some things you aren’t necessarily proud of. But this isn’t what life is about. We live and experience things to learn and change in the future. Let people think what they want. Stop trying to control how people see you. Look at yourself and be happy with yourself. Forget about everyone else. We need to work on making ourselves better rather than trying to make others see us as better. Love you, mistakes and all.

4. You are not perfect.

The truth is, we can’t be the best at everything. We can’t always come in first place, have the highest test in the class, or make the most money. I think setting goals to meet is good and can help keep you motivated but striving for perfection, now that can be lethal. So don’t compare yourself to what others are doing. Don’t go crazy trying to beat others out. Accept what you are capable of and do it in the best, happiest way you can. Smile while doing whatever it is you are doing and try to help others along the way without pushing them down just so you can rise up.

5. You are beautiful and unique. You are a hard-worker. You deserve happiness. I am proud of you. I love you. You are enough. You are valuable and worthy.

Say everything you would want someone to say to you, but mean it. Say it loud, say it proud. Love comes from within. Acceptance starts with yourself. And spread the love! Maybe someone else needs to hear these words. You never know what a simple compliment can provide for another person. Go out of your way, make someone smile.

I’m sure we have all come to learn the hard way that we are our own worst critic. You do not need to be like the Instagram “famous” people you idolize, you do not need to be a certain weight, you do not need to be anything other than who you want to be. It is so easy to lose focus of the dreams we had as little kids. Hours upon hours spent on phones, tablets, and televisions has caused an undeniable blur inside us all. Inevitable? Maybe. But try to remember who you are is why you have been placed on this Earth and you do not need to be anyone else.