5 Things To Work On This Summer | The Odyssey Online

5 Things To Work On This Summer

Things summer gives you the time to do.

4
5 Things To Work On This Summer

Let me introduce the not-so-novel concepts of summer bucket lists and self-improvement. Now most of these things probably should have been done in preparation for this summer or are things that you never had a desire to do, but if you are anything like me, you tend to accomplish tasks a season after they should be accomplished. What do people expect of us? Honestly, some of these concepts could even be left over from your New Year's resolutions. The good news is I am not here to judge you because odds are I am sitting right next to you (metaphorically).

1. Get the perfect summer bod — one month into summer

Making the moves to be the hottest version of yourself was a distance concept since the clock struck 12 on NYE. But you didn’t have time to “workout” and “eat right” because you are the busiest bee I know! So the summer time is a perfect opportunity to get active and become your healthiest you.

2. Learn to play an instrument

This has actually been a staple of many a bucket list in my home. I, like many, have had the opportunity to take piano lessons as a child and quit after a handful of years because—also like most children—I hated structure. Now that I am a mature adult, I am taking the initiative to learning a new instrument. Probably. Maybe. Well, it is on the list.

3. Read that dusty book that has been on your shelf since high school

“Oh the luxuries of kicking back with a good book in my free time because I am the ultimate time manager”That is an actual quote from you, when you thought you wouldn’t be spending your time napping, binging on Netflix, or eating fast food during your time in college. I know how you feel, reading your textbook is already an exhausting and ancient concept of education that strains your eyes. No need to add another form of that, no matter what John Green book you have on your bookshelf.

4. Work on your tan

I know that these sunny three months are the ideal time to work on evening out your skin tone. It is only natural to crave the sunlight after being held up in a library for months during your difficult semester at school. You deserve to bask in the glorious sun. Even if you're not trying to darken your skin, you still have the option of kicking it pool side, which is luxury that I typically don’t have time for during the school year.

5. Reconnect with old friends

One of the sweetest things that comes with summer time is getting to spend time with friends that you typically don’t see while you are away. This time in your young adult life should be cherished. Your twenties is the time where is it generally accepted that you can be selfish and work on yourself and make memories with your friends, so go out and make some memories and have a merry, merry summer.