5 Restaurants Every Penn State Student Needs In Their Life

239
Tumblr

As Penn State students, we tend to limit our food choices to the downtown State College area -- not just because is it convenient, but also because not all of us have vehicles on campus. I am writing this article to prove that there are justifiable reasons to take an Uber other than taking one to frat land.

1. Otto's Pub & Brewery

If you're in the mood for a juicy burger, but you’ve reached your limit on Five Guys and Baby’s, Otto's is the place for you. They're famous for their half-pound burgers and if you're an avocado lover, try a burger with Amish pepper jack cheese and avocado slices. Let’s just say, you will be in love at first taste. They're also famous for a lot of other foods, including, but not limited to, their boneless wings, traditional fondue made with local cheeses from around the State College area, inexpensive pizzas that are enough to share between two people, soups and salads. OH and I almost forgot, if you're 21, this place is known for their in-house brewed beers. Apricot Wheat is one of the most popular!

Tip: Visit Otto's on Sundays between 1:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. and get half priced pizzas. Also visit on Mondays between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. and get half priced burgers WITH beer battered fries. Could it get any better than that?

2235 N Atherton St, State College, PA 16803

2. Faccia Luna Pizzeria

This is by far one of the most popular establishments for State College locals, and it will soon be yours, too. Most famous for their wood-fired pizza, this place almost always has a long but *reasonable* wait on Friday and Saturday evenings. This is simply because there is nothing quite like a Faccia Luna pizza. Faccia Luna also offers other remarkable items on their menu like the Basil Linguine with Vodka Sauce, Chicken Parmigiana, Italian Wedding soup and various seafood specials on the weekends. (Yes, OrderUp delivers Faccia Luna on campus, but trust me, it is not the same.)

Tip: They are famous for their extremely inexpensive lunch specials ONLY on the weekdays, one of which being two slices of pizza WITH a salad and a drink, all for around $7. If you’re a broke college student like me, this lunch special will fit in your budget and will be well worth it.

1229 S Atherton St, State College, PA 16801

3. Champs Sports Grill

This is the go-to place in town to watch any big sporting event. They are most well known for their weekly specials, two of the most popular being Wing Night on Mondays from 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.: 50¢ Wings/50¢ Celery/50¢ Blue Cheese and my all-time favorite, Famous $1 Nachos from 10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Don’t let me forget to tell you that the nachos are huge and are very difficult to finish even between two people, so for only a dollar, you are getting a ton of food. Their menu also has a wide variety of appetizers, burgers, hoagies, cheesesteaks, pizza, soups, salads and they have one of the best beer selections in town!

Tip: Get Lou’s Ravioli’s.

1611 N Atherton St, State College, PA 16803

4. The Naked Egg Cafe

Since Waffle Shop gets all of the breakfast attention from college students (yes, it is well deserved), I feel like I need to bring some attention to another fabulous breakfast joint in the State College area. Not only does this place have some of the best coffee in town, it has some extremely delicious and reasonably priced breakfast specialties. The most popular item on the menu is “The Whole Farm”, which is two eggs your way with the choice of bacon, ham, sausage or scrapple and a choice of home fries or tots and toast all for $5.99. This is the perfect place to go to the morning before a big exam or the morning after a long night.

Tip: If you’re the opposite of me, and you are a morning person, you need to try out this “Drive-By Special” -- an egg and cheese with the choice of ham, bacon, or sausage on an English muffin and a 12 oz coffee for only $5.00 from 6:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.

320 Pine Grove Road, State College, PA 16801

5. Jim’s Italian Cuisine

**The best for last** OK OK, before I get you all excited, I am going to warn you that if you take an Uber here, your credit card may get charged a couple dollars over your typical total. Jim’s Italian Cuisine, located in Bellefonte, PA, is approximately 15 minutes away from the Penn State Campus and, in my opinion, is well worth the drive. This place easily kicks the Olive Garden’s a**. Jim’s by far has the best Italian food in this area, my favorite of theirs being the cheese ravioli. Every meal comes with their unlimited salad and your choice of garlic or plain bread. Did I also mention that their meals are not in the least bit overpriced? You get a ton of delicious food for anywhere ranging between $7 and $10.

Tip: Try out this restaurant on a Tuesday and mention their website while you're checking out. You'll receive 10 percent off! (Every penny counts while in college.)

204 East Cherry Lane, Bellefonte, PA 16823