5 Reasons Substitute Teaching is Awesome | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Substitute Teaching is Awesome

This is one experience you don't want to miss out on.

3238
britishcouncil.org

Two years before I was born, my mother became a teacher. I grew up in the classroom, and by the time I was around ten years old, I knew that eventually I would have some classroom experience. I did not necessarily want to become a teacher, but I knew I wanted to help teach children in some way. After my third year of college, I had enough college credit in order to apply for a substitute teaching position. I immediately got the job and was ready for my first day. After the first few months at the job, I began to enjoy the work, and formulated ten reasons why substitute teaching is in fact, awesome.

1.) You are basically, and instantly, their hero, even if they have just met you.

The first day that I taught second grade, I was instantly the coolest teacher ever. The entire day, I was constantly told to make sure I come back and be their substitute again. When you sub in elementary school, children always want to know everything about your life, and when you tell them aspects of your life, they will always think it is “cool” if it relates to them. I had an entire conversation once with a child about which Pokemon was the best, and I’m pretty sure I am now his favorite teacher at school.

2.) You get endless compliments from children and parents you don’t personally know.

I have been called a “beautiful princess” by a Kindergartner, “mommy” by a Preschooler, a “cool teacher” by a fifth grader, and have received endless compliments on my style, academic, and career choices, as well as other aspects of my life generally during the course of my substitute teaching career.

3.) Everyday's an adventure. You never know where you will be or what you will be doing.

When you get called to be a substitute teacher, you aren’t necessarily aware of where you will be when you get to school that day. You may be tie-ing shoes all day in Kindergarten, or you may be playing kickball outside with the fifth grade. You never know what experiences you’ll have from day to day!

4.) No matter what you teach, you will always learn something new yourself.

At the elementary level, you will teach a variety of subjects throughout the day, but the most important subject you will teach isn’t in the typical elementary curriculum. Many of the children that I have worked with in the area that I am from are not from the best of backgrounds, and therefore, look to the few adults in their lives for guidance. Teaching children to make good choices everyday is the most important aspect of being an educational figure in their lives; the children I have had as a substitute teacher have taught me to further value what I have rather than what I want in life, and to live in the moment.

5.) You have the opportunity to change the lives of young people for the better.

The most important reason that substitute teaching is one of the most awesome jobs to have is that you have the opportunity to make the lives of young people better in their most formative years of learning. I cannot express how important it is to be a positive adult figure in the lives of children who need someone to look up to during their formative years. Having the opportunity to teach others to make great choices everyday is one of the most rewarding experiences to have, in my opinion. For these reasons, I believe that anyone who enjoys the spontaneity of children and the lessons that they can teach, should become a substitute teacher at some point in their lives; even if you only briefly dabble in the career, I believe it is an experience that is worth the time.