5 Realities of Taking Summer Classes | The Odyssey Online

5 Realities of Taking Summer Classes

It seems like a good idea, but it can also be one of the hardest things you ever do.

35
5 Realities of Taking Summer Classes
hopkins-interactive.com

Summer classes are a great way to get ahead or get a class over with. From a distance, they are a great idea and definitely something you should do. However, the reality is never as fun as the thought. The reality is your teachers giving you fifteen weeks worth of knowledge in five weeks, and that ain't always pretty.

1. The Teacher throws as much information at you as possible, whether you can take it or not

Summer classes are usually a month long, leaving no days for slacking off or taking things slow. From the moment the teacher walks in they are trying to impart as much wisdom as they can, leaving you feeling vaguely abused. Your teacher has trimmed the lesson down as much as possible and still doesn't have enough time, so he or she will expect a lot of out of class preparation and readings. Which of course rarely gets done, leaving all involved feeling like the ship is going down.

2. You see see all the fun you aren't having on social media

While you are trying to better your future and be a responsible adult, your friends, it seems, have decided to do every possible fun activity without you. As you suffer in the dingy classroom, they are living the Margarita Monday life and they can't stop posting about it. All you can do about it is hold your textbook a little closer and just repeat the mantra: I am an adult doing good adult things.

3. Your brain is so fried that you aren't even sure if you're speaking actual words anymore

You are not used to doing this much studying and it is pretty much killing you. Sure you met the hours required and got most of your homework done, but this is a whole new level. Flashcards are everywhere, and you can't think of the last thing you read that wasn't about mitochondria. Your brain is so fried from all this information it has decided to vacay to Tahiti without you. Simple hellos are now impossible, and you are pretty sure if you try to hold a conversation with anyone it will end in you shouting scientific facts.

4. The classes are so small that there is a one hundred percent chance the teacher will ask you a question

Usually, your classes consist of you and a hundred other students, so being asked a question isn't going to happen. However, this is not the case in a summer session. It's you and maybe fifteen other people all trying to wrap your head around the metric ton of knowledge thrown at you when the teacher calls on you. Yes, they actually know your name, and, yes, they just used it, and, yes, they expect you to answer a question. Out loud. In class. Right now. You've basically been teleported back to high school, and it sucks.

5. Finishing the class is almost more rewarding than your high school graduation

This has become your Everest, and completing it leaves you with the biggest sense of accomplishment. You worked so hard and the reward is great. You can now go back into the world of people and socialize like you should. In the end, you don't regret it, you made it through, and have come out stronger and (kind of) smarter.