5 Foods College Made Me Love | The Odyssey Online

5 Foods College Made Me Love

My mouth is already watering.

5
5 Foods College Made Me Love
Haley Messenger

Alright, alright, alright. New place, new people, new foods. COLLEGE. Yes it is full of discovering new things, but I never thought of those things would be a new list of favorite foods! During my freshman year of college, I tried a lot of new foods as a result of new people telling me to do so. My first year was inevitably full of all-nighters, early mornings and marathons to catch a subway ride. During all of these events, I would hear my stomach screaming at me to give it something good. I mean, I had a place full of a variety of food: New York City. But just like every other college student experience, my wallet was also hungry. So what did I do? I turned to these five foods for guidance.

1. Hummus

I like to think of this delicious dipping tool as my eighth grade self: weird looking on the outside, beautiful on the inside. Hummus, which is mashed up chick peas, goes great with almost anything. I first discovered its magical power when I bought it with pretzel chips at one of my school's dining halls. It is the perfect snack when combined with pretzels, chips, vegetables, etc. It even contains healthy fats necessary for your body! Yay for healthy things that actually taste good!

2. Crêpes

This may seem weird to put on this list, but when you are walking around Manhattan after a concert and nothing else seems to be open, stop into a "Vive la Crêpe!" and you will understand. Thinner pancakes with a salty or sweet filling...can it get any better?

3. Sushi

When your wallet's tight and so are your pants, turn to sushi. It can be healthy and filling for a night in at school! If you are not a fish-lover, try a sweet potato or veggie roll!

4. Avocado Toast

I think I found Heaven the first time I tried this. It was a warm, spring day at a brunch spot in SoHo and my life was forever changed. I was happy because I found another great food that wouldn't aid in a potential gaining of the freshman 15. Once you go green, you never go back.

5. Omelettes

You can eat them for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner! These were my go-to when nothing seemed to be right in the dining hall in the morning. It spices up your meal, too! Who would want plain eggs? Omelettes make it a little more interesting!