27 Things Our Favorite Movies Have Taught Us | The Odyssey Online

27 Things Our Favorite Movies Have Taught Us

The most memorable lines from your favorite movies

203
Screen Rant

Every movie, no matter how serious, has an underlining moral to the story. Some of the time they go unnoticed, which is an utter sham. Fortunately, they usually end up becoming a cliché or motivational quote for a poster in your room. Of course, some of the best movies have the best lessons.

Here is a list of 27 lessons taught by a collection of our favorite movies throughout the decades:

1. “Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying.”-Shawshank Redemption

Andy Dufresne definitely chose to get busy living, as he decided to craw though five hundred yards of shit for some freedom.

2. "Until you start believing in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life!"-Rocky

Believing in yourself is the first step towards the top of the stairs at The Philadelphia Art Museum.

3. "Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything."- The Karate Kid

I think Mr. Miyagi forgot to include the “wax on, wax off,” part of the deal here.

4. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."- Dodgeball

Don't try this one at home.

5. "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

In Gandalf's case that’s approximately 2,019 years, but whose counting?

6. “Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." - Godfather II

We’ve all heard this one a time or two.

7. "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.” - Back to the Future

Well, coming from someone who's time traveled, I’d say this is pretty reliable.

8. “If you’re good at something, never do it for free.” - The Dark Knight

Pretty good advice from a psycho-maniac i guess.

9. “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

R.I.P.

10. “With great power comes great responsibility.” - Spider-man

If you ever experience superpowers from a radioactive spider, make sure to always stop the robbers. RIP Uncle Ben.

11. "You're your problem...and you're also your solution. " - Bridesmaids

Or just get really drunk on a plane and pretend to be Mrs. Iglesias.

12. "Never give up and good luck will find you." - The Never Ending Story

You could maybe find Falkor, the luckdragon, which also would be pretty lucky.

13. "College women can smell ignorance." - Risky Business

That’s right boys, we can always spot the dumb ones.

14. "You ought to spend a little more time trying to make something of yourself and a little less time trying to impress people." - The Breakfast Club

Even though well never know I’d like to think the breakfast club made something of themselves.

15. “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.” - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Well when your enemy is Voldemort, this might not be so true anymore.

16. “I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You learn to take life as it comes at you, to make each day count.” - Titanic

Still pissed she didn’t let him on the piece of wood too, totally wasted it.

17. “All you can do in life is try to solve the problem in front of you.” - Mean Girls

The limit does not exist!

18. “Show me the money!” - Jerry Maguire

Not sure if this movie taught me to be ambitious or just scream at people when I want to be paid more.

19. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Now this is so true! I hate when I get the coconut ones.

20. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." - Dirty Dancing

All men should stand up for their women like this.

21. “Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.” - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Do you think this is what inspired Short Round to make such awesome booby-traps for the Goonies?

22. “The Future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.” - Terminator

I get the fate part, but I’m pretty sure there was a lot of time traveling going on.

23. “Live long and prosper” - Star Trek

You probably should have given this advice to the USS Enterprise.

24. “To live would be an awfully big adventure.” - Hook

Boomerang!!!

25. “Reach for the Sky” - Toy Story

Woody, I think you’re going to need your pal Buzz for this one.

26. “Remember kid, there’s heroes and there’s legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die; follow your heart kid, and you’ll never go wrong.” - Sandlot

Benny “The Jet” Rodrigues, if that doesn’t work you always got your PF Flyers.

27. "Asante sana Squash banana, wewe nugu mimi hapana!" - Lion King

It means you’re a baboon and I’m not!