23 Times A Presidential Candidate Has Said Something Stupid

Clarification: This Article Could've Been A Chapter Book

45

The presidential election is just over a year away and it is still making the nightly news unlike any other past election. Part of the reason for this is that there is an absurd number of candidates. The other reason has to do with the fact that the president hopefuls seem to be trying to get into hot water by making controversial comments.

Jeb Bush:

1. “Forty years ago, I smoked marijuana, and I admit it."

Analysis: While the younger generation may see this as cool, it isn't. No presidential candidate should ever openly discuss their past drug use whether it's marijuana or cocaine. This quote made him more appealing to the younger voters, and it gave pot heads a whole new dream to strive for.

2. “If you want to know who I listen to for advice, it’s [George W. Bush].”

Analysis: This quote didn't help his case to represent the GOP. Two of the biggest obstacles standing in his way are his father and brother. No one wants another Bush in office. Instead, he should be distancing himself from his family.

3. When asked about the wars his brother, President Bush, started, he stated, “I would have, and so would have Hillary Clinton, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got.”

Analysis: Jeb Bush tried defending his brother here. Everyone with a sibling understands the need to protect them, but in this specific example, it backfired because no one wants to here this , partially because it isn't entirely accurate.

Summary: The list of Bush’s slip-ups is significantly less severe than pretty much everyone else on this list. But, as a presidential candidate, you should not admit to doing illegal drugs even if it were four decades ago – it’s not something people want to hear. You know what else people don’t want to hear? That your brother advises you. Mr. Bush you need to separate yourself from your brother and father, not strengthen the tie that people don’t like.

Dr. Ben Carson:

4. “I would have problems with somebody who embraced all the doctrines associated with Islam. If they are not willing to reject Sharia and all the portions of it that are talked about in the Quran – if they are not willing to reject that, and subject that to American values and the Constitution, then of course, I would.”

Analysis: What could this quote possibly accomplish? This is just the prime example of Islamophobia. I’m not a Muslim and I was offended and appalled by the remark.

5. In reference to the shooting at Umpqua Community College – he “would not just stand there and let him shoot me. I would ask everybody to attack the gunman because he can only shoot one of us at a time. That way, we don’t all wind up dead.”

Analysis: This comment is not only stupid, but it’s also incredibly insensitive. Nothing good could have come of it. While he may not have realized it, this comment offended the victims and suggested they did not do enough to prevent the attack.

6. Carson stating that “in the mid-to-late ‘30s they started a program of disarming the people and by the mid-‘40s, look at what happened” in reference to the Holocaust trying to point out the importance of protecting the second amendment.

Analysis: I understand Carson believes in the second amendment, many people do. But to compare it to the Holocaust and use it as a way to further his own political stances was abhorrent. To make it even better, the Anti-Defamation league condemned the comment and he still stood by it when asked at a later date. Good for him for sticking to his word?

7. According to the retired neurosurgeon, Obamacare is the ”worse thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.”

Analysis: This quote was repugnant and he should be ashamed of himself for this comparison. There was no reason or justification for it.

Summary: I cannot count on many things in life, but if there's one thing I hang my hat on, it's that Dr. Ben Carson will say something else stupid. His comments are inexcusable and downright stupid. For a man who was once a neurosurgeon, you'd think he'd have a brain, or could transplant one into his own head.

Hillary Clinton

8. “The American people are tired of liars and people who pretend to be something they’re not.”

Analysis: Hey Hillary, did the pot just call the kettle black?

9. “As of today, I am not in favor of what I have learned about it. I have said from the very beginning that we had to have a trade agreement that would create good American jobs, raise wages and advance our national security and I still believe that is the high bar we have to meet.”

Analysis: Clinton's disproval of the Trans-Pacific Partnership was monumental. It created a divide among the democratic party. If the party had one thing over the Republican party, it was unity.

Summary: There was one point where the democrat primary was not necessary because Clinton was the only option. Now that seems like it was ancient history. The Benghazi scandal knocked her off her pedestal and we’ll have to see if she can recover in time. Also, who cares about her emails, it's like she has access to anything top secret right?

Ted Cruz

10. “Praise God that Kim Davis is being released. It was an outrage that she was imprisoned for six days for living according to her Christian faith.”

Analysis: The problem was this quote was the last clause. She was not arrested for ‘living according to her Christian faith.’ Instead, Davis was given an ultimatum and chose going to jail.

11. When discussing his views on global warming, he stated “if you look at satellite data for the last eighteen years, there’s been zero recorded warming. The satellite says it ain’t happening.”

Analysis: This quote is just inaccurate. There’s no denying the fact that climate change is happening. If you, Mr. Cruz, don’t believe in climate change, then how will you fix the problem that has clearly been established.

12. “You know, back in the ‘70s – I remember the ‘70s, we were told there was global cooling, and everyone was told global cooling was a really big problem… the problem with climate change is there’s never been a day in the history of the world in which the climate is not changing.”

Analysis: This quote suggests that climate change is not important and that is just false. The economy or social issues will not matter if the planet becomes uninhabitable.

13. “If the citizens of the state of Iowa or the citizens of the state of Texas want to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman… the states have the constitutional authority to do so and the federal government and unelected judges cannot set aside the democratically elected legislature’s reasons decisions to enact and protect traditional marriage.”

Analysis: This statement is just incorrect. I hate to break this to you Mr. Cruz, United States politics are not actually based on your religious ideas. Sorry though.

Summary: Cruz is a religious man and it dictates his politics. Democracy doesn't work that way bud. If a Muslim was president, they would not invoke Sharia Law, and a Jewish president would not force everyone to keep kosher. He's entitled to his own religious beliefs, but that cannot and must not interfere with is politics.

Carly Florina

14. During the GOP debate, when discussing Planned Parenthood, she supposedly saw “a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while someone says, ‘we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain.’

Analysis: Fiorina is in a position of power even as a candidate. To make up a false claim for her political career is absolutely disgusting.

Summary: Fiorina received a ton of media attention after the most recent GOP debate for how she handled Donald Trump, but she made this comment above that seemed to go unnoticed. This video that she referenced never happened. Yes, there were videos of Planned Parenthood that were uncovered, but even those videos did not show what Fiorina referenced. For my next essay I'm going to make up sources and quotes and see how that goes. (Also what president actually needs government experience prior to running? Not, Fiorina, she a CEO).

Mike Huckabee

15. “A 10-year-old girl being raped is horrible. But does it solve a problem by taking the life of an innocent child? And that’s really the issue.”

Analysis: The lack of compassion for the 10-year-old this example is repulsive. To dismiss that part of the example is unacceptable.

16. “By [agreeing to the Iran deal], [Obama] will take the Israelis and march them to the door of the oven.”

Analysis: This quote was unacceptable in every way, shape and form. The idea makes sense, but the wording is abhorrent. Jewish people should never, ever be mentioned with an oven; that is never acceptable.

17. In regards to Kim Davis being sent to jail for failing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, “If somebody needs to go to jail, I’m willing to go in her place.”

Analysis: This quote just shows Huckabee’s ignorance when it comes to equal rights.

Summary: Huckabee is a very religious man and it has driven his political career and agenda. That is not how the government works. An elected official is a representative, someone who listens to his or her constituents and dedicates their job to helping those people; the government worker’s religion should not come into play, but it does with Huckabee. Huckabee may be more suited to work in the Baptist Church community where his religion is expected to help him make decisions.

Marco Rubio

18. “Humans are not responsible for climate change in the way some of these people out there are trying to make us believe.”

Analysis: How can Rubio dismiss the key science backing climate change? It is a vital issue that needs to be solved, not something to be diminished in value.

19. “I believe that marriage, as the key to strong family life, is the most important institution in our society and should be between one man and one woman.”

Analysis: He is entitled to his own beliefs. That is understandable. But, his religious views cannot dictate his policies because that means he is not representing the people.

Summary: Rubio is a very well liked candidate. He looks like a candidate who will be around until the very end. But his comments pertaining to his views on climate change raise more than just a red flag. Newsflash to Rubio, if we don't have a sustainable planet to live on, I think your presidential term will end early.

Donald Trump (saving the best/stupidest for last!):

20. During the presidential debate, Trump responds to a comment by Rand Paul with “I never attacked him on his look, and believe me, there’s plenty of subject matter right there.”

Analysis: There was absolutely no reason for Trump to attack someone’s physical appearance. It solved nothing. There was no place for this to happen during a presidential debate, (what is he, 4) (copy and paste the psychological definition of projecting, will explain later)

21. When asked about presidential candidate Carly Fiorina “Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!”

Analysis: Donald Trump’s sexist history is a long one. He has consistently shown his chauvinistic self and this was just another example of it. But when it comes to presidential debates, when the topics are about the things he doesn’t know, I guess it makes sense he would take shots below the belt.

22. When asked about the comment he made above, “I think she’s got a beautiful face. I think she’s a beautiful woman.”

Analysis: Trump’s response was smug and disrespectful. There is no reason appearance should be a subject of a presidential debate.

23. “A child went to have the vaccine, got very, very sick, and is now autistic.”
Analysis: This quote was just factually inaccurate. There is no scientific evidence to prove his claim and when Dr. Carson was asked about it, he refuted it.

Summary: Donald Trump is currently first in the poll for the GOP. I need to say that one more time to let it sink in for myself - businessman Donald Trump is leading the polls for the Republican nomination. This is like a bad dream America cannot wake up from. But what the hell, if he can run for president, maybe I'll join the race too. I'm sure they could fit one more podium on the stage if they have room for so many already.

(Also here is a link to an Obama spoof singing Drake's Back to Back directed to Trump)

In conclusion: The presidential candidates can be seen every night on the news even though the election is not for over a year and for a majority of the time – they are on the news for negative reasons. Almost every candidate has put their foot in their mouth at one time or another. In fact, it seems like they're playing a game "who can say the stupidest thing?" Let's wait to crown a winner to this ridiculous game. Either way, do these quotes give you enough faith to vote for one of these candidates to be the leader of the free world for four years?