21 Things I've Learned In 21 Years | The Odyssey Online

21 Things I've Learned In 21 Years

Important lessons to take with you into the new year

18
21 Things I've Learned In 21 Years
Google Images

The new year is finally upon us, and I have had time to think and reflect on how far I’ve come and where I’m headed in the years to follow. In my 21 years of life, I’ve made mistakes and learned from them, I’ve made new friends and I’ve lost some, I’ve traveled to parts of the world that I never thought I would get the chance to see, and I’ve found myself along the way. It hasn’t always been easy, but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Here are 21 of the most important lessons I have learned thus far and will carry with me into the new year.

1. Nobody else can determine your happiness (or lack thereof).

It’s easy to point the finger and blame other people when things aren’t going exactly as you had planned. Take a step back and reevaluate your life. You are in control and have the power to change your path at any time. Happiness is a choice that nobody can make for you.

2. Work hard. Play harder.

Put 100 percent of your effort in everything you do. There’s a time and a place to buckle down and get work done, but don’t forget to let loose once in a while and reward yourself once your work is done.

3. Don’t be afraid to say yes to the opportunities that come your way.

Some opportunities only come around once in a lifetime. Be open to new experiences and face these opportunities head on. Big changes might seem scary at times, but you never know where they might take you.

4. Smile big, and smile often.

A smile goes a long way. Smile at your friends, family, and strangers passing by. It never hurts to be friendly, and this simple gesture could make someone’s day a little brighter.

5. Surround yourself with people that lift you up instead of the ones that drag you down.

Surround yourself with people that you are proud to call your friends. You want friends that you can look up to, and that will push you to be the best version of yourself. Cut ties with the toxic people in your life. You will be better off without them.

6. If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough.

No dream is too big or unattainable. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

7. Just because everyone’s doing it doesn’t make it right.

It is okay to go against the popular vote. Don’t let others persuade you into doing things you don’t want to do. At the end of the day, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and live with the choices you make.

8. Nothing is more important than knowing your worth.

Never accept less than what you deserve. Be strong, stick up for yourself, don’t settle for anything, and seek out all of the great things life has to offer.

9. Mom is usually always right.

I hate to admit it, but moms usually know what they are talking about. Take their advice. Chances are they went through the same things you are going through when they were your age and lived to tell the tale.

10. College is about so much more than getting a degree.

College is about learning and growing as a person in and out of the classroom. It’s about opening your mind to new ideas and experiences, meeting friends that will last a lifetime, and paving a path to self-discovery.

11. Your girlfriends are more important than any guy. Keep them close.

Unfortunately, many of us learn this one the hard way. Boyfriends are great, but your girlfriends are the ones you want by your side if you need someone to vent to and help pick up the pieces when the boy is no longer in the picture. Set aside time for your friends and don’t let them let them forget how important they are.

12. Carbs won’t kill you.

Don’t hate yourself for eating pasta every night last week. We both know it tasted delicious.

13. Perfection is impossible.

Don’t set unrealistic expectations of yourself. You are allowed to make mistakes; you are human.

14. Memories are more valuable than material things.

Thirty years from now it won’t matter that you always had the latest edition of the iPhone, a nice car, or a collection of designer purses. Eventually these things will all fade away and go out of style. You will however always carry around the memories you’ve made throughout the years with your best friends and your family. Be present and focus on people, not things.

15. Love yourself and all of your imperfections.

Learn to love yourself exactly the way you are, including the scars, stretch marks, freckles, glasses or any other “imperfections” you think you have. You are beautiful just the way you are.

16. Your past does not define you.

We all have a past, and we all have pieces of that past that we aren’t proud of. Learn from these moments and move on. Don’t waste your time carrying the weight of your past on your shoulders for the rest of your life. You have a lot to look forward to, leave the past where it belongs.

17. It’s five o’clock somewhere.

It’s never too early for a drink. It is perfectly acceptable to crack open a bottle at 10:00 in the morning once in a while. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

18. Pay it forward.

Even if it is as simple as paying for someone else’s coffee at Starbucks. A little kindness goes a long way.

19. There’s no such thing as being overdressed or overeducated.

Nothing is more attractive than a sharply dressed man or woman with a brain.

20. Don’t forget to say, “I love you.”

This might sound obvious, but we tend to take our loved ones for granted. Don’t forget to let them know how much you love and appreciate them.

21. Never lose your wanderlust.

There is no better time to travel and explore the world than right now. Pack your bags and set out on an adventure of a lifetime.