20&17 Wise and Not So Wise Ways to Spend Money | The Odyssey Online

20&17 Wise and Not So Wise Ways to Spend Money

Treat yo self- sometimes.

7
Culturess.com

Happy 2017! One of my many New Years Resolutions is to be more wise and conscience about my monetary spending habits. Below, I outlined 20 wise ways to spend money and 17 not so wise ways (get it- 20 and 17 ha).

20 Wise Ways

1. A nice watch

2. A classic, timeless purse

3. An insanely warm parka (especially if you live in places like Syracuse and Wisconsin)

4. Thoughtful gifts for friends

A memory goes a lot further than some expensive jewelry.

5. Comfort food and snacks

Need that bag of Skinny Pop to get you through finals? I don't blame you one bit.

6. A flight to see your family

7. Vacation

8. Professional Clothing

Even just a nice peacoat, a few blazers, and some classic heels can really help you nail the job interview.

9. Netflix/Spotify/Amazon Prime

Not hearing those annoying commercials is actually one of the nicest pleasures ever.

10. A soft snuggly blanket

Every person is different and has different blanket comforts, and it is totally worth it finding that perfect blanket for you.

11. Makeup

Not only does nice makeup look nicer, but it's often also a lot better for your skin than inexpensive convenient makeup.

12. Shellac/Gel Manicures

I always get shellac nails, and it costs $6 more to last for 4 times as long- deal!

13. Charity/Donations

I guarantee nothing will make you feel better than donating to a cause you believe in.

14. One, solid phone case

I've learned my lesson one too many times, so yes I have a somewhat chunky phone case, but I don't care if it protects my phone.

15. Adventures and Experiences

16. Solid outdoor apparel

*cough* Syracuse necessity *cough*

17. Saving for the best education possible

18. Your pillow and mattress

19. A reliable phone and computer

20. Things that make you happy

17 Not So Wise Ways

1. Trendy Swimsuits

I live in Wisconsin and Syracuse for most of the year, so I really can't justify spending lots of money on clothes I wear for 2 months.

2. Trendy shoes

I can't even tell you how many times I've bought shoes just because they look cool on other people even though they are totally not me.

3. Sweatshirts

Yes, resist buying your 23rd sweatshirt regardless of how comfy it looks; you do not need it.

4. GrubHub or other food delivery services more than a few times a month

5. Lottery tickets

6. $5+ coffee (guilty habit)

7. Apps

$0.99 may not seem like a lot, but once you get in that habit, it gets harder to break.

8. Sunglasses

For four years, I got nice expensive sunglasses for Christmas. Every one of those pairs is broken.

9. Nail Polish

Can you really tell the difference between a $2 polish and a $12 polish? I can't, but if you can then more power to you.

10. Trends in general

Is that really you?

11.Genuine things that you don't actually care about

I.E. College girls get the cheapest basketball jersey and not the expensive real one for a party.

12. Drinks and snacks you just really don't need

13. Movie tickets and movie theater snacks

14. Expensive but thoughtless gifts for others; believe me, it's the thought that counts.

15. Expensive electronics you don't really care about

I'm not a music junkie, so no $300 headphones for me please

16. Dorm decorations

No, you do not need a fourth string of lights with Polaroids (if you do, DIY!).

17. SKIPPING CLASS-- you are literally throwing away education, memories, and money by being lazy.

One basic rule to keep in mind when deciding to buy something is to ask yourself, Do I really need this? OR Will this make me happier? If either answers are yes, then honey treat yo self.