15 TV Breakups That Crushed Us All

15 TV Breakups That Crushed Us All

Warning: possible spoilers below!

107
15 TV Breakups That Crushed Us All
Hollywood.com

I have a tendency to become waytoo attached to the fictional characters in TV shows. I mean, way too attached. I analyze everything they do, everyone in their lives and constantly question their life decisions. It’s almost as if they become a part of my life. Yes, it’s sad. I know.

TV breakups are pretty much as bad as it gets. I usually grow to love someone’s significant other, so, when things end, it’s hard for me to deal with the change (and there are usually tears). As I was watching the episode of "New Girl" in which Nick and Jess break up (and screaming at them through my sobs), I started thinking about the many times that TV writers have done this to me. So, I decided to list some of, in my opinion, the worst and most painful TV breakups.

15. Diane and Sam, "Cheers"

Their on-again, off-again relationship just wasn’t meant to be, no matter how many times they tried over the years.

14. Margaret and Frank, "M*A*S*H"

We may have hated Frank and Margaret together, but Margaret’s marriage to Lt. Col. Penobscott drove Frank over the edge. The show just wasn’t the same after Frank went crazy and left for good (but it’s still my favorite).

13. Robin and Ted, "How I Met Your Mother"

Though they were great together, Robin and Ted realized that they wanted different things in life. It was even more painful watching the two of them try to conceal their feelings for each other after the breakup.

12. Claire and Francis, "House of Cards"

This power couple seemed destined to split up at some point, but their split was extremely intense. I guess we shouldn’t expect anything different from "House of Cards."

11. Ziva and Tony, "NCIS"

They were never officially together, but it was obvious that they loved each other. It was so painful to watch Tony watch Ziva leave for Israel.

10. Monica and Richard, "Friends"

I’m almost certain that I’m in the minority on this one, but I was devastated when Monica and Richard ended their relationship. I loved him, and he and Monica were so happy together.

9. Carrie and Big, "Sex and the City"

Each time Big came around, it seemed to end with tears from Carrie. But, despite Big’s flaws, I can’t help but love him. And don’t even get me started on the movie.

8. Phoebe and Mike, "Friends"

I know that some people didn’t care for Mike, but he obviously made Phoebe incredibly happy. When they ended things because of their differences, it was hard to watch Phoebe try to keep it together. Thankfully, they solved their problems and everything worked out for the best.

7. Cristina and Burke, "Grey’s Anatomy"

To this day, I’m still mad at Burke. Who would leave someone as amazing as Cristina at the altar? You better believe I was yelling at my TV on this one. But, I have to say that Cristina turned out pretty well without him.

6. Lorelai and Luke, "Gilmore Girls"

When Luke wouldn’t agree to elope with Lorelai, she was rightfully devastated. But, once again, Christopher’s presence ruins things, and Luke and Lorelai split up. However, their love was too strong to keep them apart and Luke’s sweet gesture finally brought them back together.

5. Amy and Sheldon, "The Big Bang Theory"

Sheldon finally found someone who truly understood him, but right as he was preparing to propose, Amy ended things. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I was extremely upset. Amy is my favorite character on the show, but I felt so bad for Sheldon. He can’t help the way he is.

4. Jess and Nick, "New Girl"

Nothing is worse than when characters break up simply because they want different things. It is abundantly clear that Nick and Jess love each other, but they realized that their lives are headed in different directions, so they split up (but still live across the hall from each other). I’m still hoping that they get back together in the next season.

3. Meredith and Derek, "Grey’s Anatomy"

At the beginning of the show, he didn’t pick her. He didn’t choose her. But he does love her. And I can’t really say anything else about this relationship. It’s just too exhausting.

2. Rachel and Ross, "Friends"

Once again, I’m probably in the minority, but they were on a break! I love Ross and he’s most certainly Rachel’s lobster, so I was thrilled when they ended up together at the end of the show. This is easily one of the most well-known TV breakups, and I still have a very hard time watching the episode in which they terminate their beautiful relationship.

1. Leslie and Ben, "Parks and Recreation"

If two characters were more perfect for each other, I don’t know who they are. It was a dark, dark time when Leslie and Ben called it quits because of their careers. But when they said “screw it” and decided to pursue their relationship for good, there was no going back. And thank goodness because I can’t handle many more TV breakups.