15 Things I Want To Tell My 15-Year-Old Self | The Odyssey Online

15 Things I Want To Tell My 15-Year-Old Self

High School isn't Everything.

3
facebook.com/lisamariefiori

Do you ever wish you could rewind and talk to your younger self? I know I do. There are so many things I know now that I wish I would have known in high school. Here is just a short list of some of the advice I would tell my 15 year old self.

1. High school isn't everything.

Whoever said high school was the best four years of your life was seriously mistaken. There are going to be a lot of tough times, but there are also going to be a lot of good times. The main thing to remember is your life hasn't even started yet. Who you are or what you do in high school does not define the rest of your life.

2. You're going to get your heartbroken. More than once.

Heartbreak is inevitable. The boy you are crying over right now will not matter 5 years down the road. In fact, you can barely remember his name. It sucks to be heartbroken, but those times are going to be the times that make you a stronger person. Take this time to get to know and fall in love with yourself.

3. You cannot hold your liquor.

Drinking a whole bottle of Burnett's is way too much for your little body to handle. The hangover is not worth it. Trust me.

4. You're going to lose people you thought would be in your life forever

It's inevitable. You're going to lose touch with people you thought you never would, even girls you thought would be your bridesmaids. Life happens. Just remember the good times you had together and know you are going to gain other people in your life you can't imagine living without.

5. Be yourself

I cannot stress this enough. Trying to be someone you are not will only hurt you. People can always sense when someone is faking it; so always strive to be the best version of yourself.

6. Don't start or spread rumors

You know what it's like to have rumors spread about you, so why would you ever spread or start rumors about other people? You know better than that. Rumors will only come back and haunt you and you have better things to be spending your time on.

7. Be nice to everyone

You never know what someone could be going through. Just because someone looks "okay" on the outside doesn't mean they aren't fighting a hard battle on the inside. A smile or a simple hello could turn someone's whole day around.

8. Stop being so rude to your parents

As much as you might hate to admit it, your parents are not out to get you. They actually know what they are talking about sometimes. Hold them close, you won't have them forever.

9. Eat the cake

Stop staring at that delicious cake while you sadly shovel salad into your mouth. EAT IT. IT'S GOOD. It's normal and healthy to splurge once in awhile.

10. Take it easy on the makeup and heels

How you wake up at 6:45 a.m. every morning and manage to do your makeup and hair is beyond me. I'm lucky if I wake up in time to brush my teeth for my 9 a.m. class in college. High school is not a fashion show. You don't need all that foundation to sit in chem class. You're going to save your feet a lot of pain by swapping out those wedges for some flip flops.

11. Stop spending your money on Hollister and Abercrombie

I know it's the "cool" thing to do right now but trust me, paying $30.00 for a piece of fabric that has the brand written across the chest is ridiculous. Your college self is shaming you right now and wishing you would have saved that money for Taco Bell.

12. Don't compare yourself to others

You are never going to be taller than 5"2. You carry your weight in your hips and your eyes are not going to get any smaller. What is the use of comparing yourself to other people? It's only going to make you feel worse about yourself. Embrace what you have been given.

13. Not everyone is going to be your friend or like you

You can literally do everything "right" and there are still going to be people who don't like you. Who cares? Stop trying to please people who don't deserve your time and effort.

14.Stop judging people

Who are you to judge someone else? Right now, being judgmental is one of your biggest faults. Get to know someone before jumping to conclusions about them. You could miss out on a really amazing person, or even a great friend.

15. You are enough

You're so much better than what you give yourself credit for. Stop being the person you think other people want you to be and start being the person you want to be. You are someone worth being and someone worth knowing. Do not forget that.

Breathe, you are going to make it.