15 Things All NYU Students Can Relate To | The Odyssey Online

15 Things All NYU Students Can Relate To

Besides the expensive price tag, there is more which makes NYU unique.

528
Simmi Uppaladadium

NYU’s tag line is “in and of the city,” and now that’s basically your tagline too. This school offers us such a different college experience, and it’s wonderful that we all get to share it with each other.

1. Stairs

You feel out of shape because you’re huffing and puffing by the time you’ve climbed up only 4 flights of stairs.

2. What's a diet?

It’s really hard to stick to your New Year’s resolution of trying to eat healthy food when there is so much unique food close to campus. Examples include Big Gay Ice Cream, Spot Dessert Bar, and Cookie DŌ.

3. The wind.

You constantly debate if it’s worth the 7 minute walk to class if you have to face the wrath of the icy wind. Sometimes, you can even hear the wind from inside your room.

4. Going off campus during the day.

How many other schools are there where students can say they went off campus for fun in the middle of the day, and got back in time for class? You can go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn for an exhibit in the morning and to Chelsea for a museum in the evening.

5. Bringing a sweater to class during warmer months.

Air conditioning is a wonderful thing, but if there is a 20 degree difference between the outside and inside of a building, we may have to rethink the 62 degree room.

6. Silence of the lambs. (JK).

There is no silence; it doesn’t matter what time of the day it is. There are always cars honking, sirens going off, or construction happening.

7. Seeing famous people on the street.

At least Alec Baldwin. Or something being filmed in Washington Square Park. But if you have luck like mine, then your friends see the famous people and tell you about it. #livingvicariously.

(Alec Baldwin on University Place)

8. Unexpected protests.

Due to recent events, there are protests happening all the time. Sometimes you don’t even hear about it, but you actually hear it from your window or see people with signs on your way to class.

9. $2.75 or 27.5 minutes?

We go to an expensive school, so if it’s possible to save money, we’ll do it. The $2.75 subway ride vs a half hour walk is a constant debate.

10. Having access to really cool museums and exhibits.

The Met, MoMA, The New Museum, Museum of Sex, and the Whitney are just a few attractions which NYU students have easy access to.

11. @Stern students:

So many perks. Separate Stern emails, free business cards, Stern specific printing, and the never-ending pride. #Wearestern.

fun fact: Dean Menon retweeted this image.

12. Having your own bathroom starting freshman year.

No communal bathrooms and no waiting forever to take a shower. We probably take this for granted.

13. FREE THINGS!

Okay they aren’t really free. $72k a year should earn us these perks and then some. So I’ll take 2 of everything. Thanks!

14. The infinitely long line for coffee in between classes.

Starbucks and Peet’s attract many sleep deprived students at all hours of the day.

15. Bragging about the best football team in the country.

No, really. Didn't you know we're #1?

NYU offers one of the most unique college experiences. You get to “adult” before your friends at state schools because you become so independent in NYC. The city life is magical, and if you live close by, chances are you came back during winter break because you just couldn’t stay awake. Bleed violet.