15 Terriers You Probably Didn't Know Went To Boston University | The Odyssey Online

15 Terriers You Probably Didn't Know Went To Boston University

I'll have what they're having!

711

Spoiler: reading this list may make you feel unaccomplished and/or fuel your quarter-life crisis. On the bright side, most of the people in this list were probably in your same situation at one point or another, so there's still hope. When we think about famous BU alums, most of us mention the most famous and influential, such as the awe-inspiring Martin Luther King, Jr. and "King of all Media" Howard Stern. However, here's a list of alumni that might surprise you.

1. Psy

That's right, you can pretty much thank BU for "Gangnam Style." Korean-born Psy (Park Jae-Sang) studied at BU for a year. Psy was on track to get a degree in business administration before losing interest in his classes and spending the rest of his tuition on musical instruments. This model is not recommended: don't try this at home, kids.

2. Uzo Aduba

The season three premiere of Orange is the New Black brings with it one of TV's most beloved and complex characters: Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren. Uzo Aduba is masterful in this Emmy Award-winning portrayal of the character who tries to reconcile her extreme temper and imagination with her prison life and surroundings. Aduba studies classical voice at BU and was a track and field star.

3. Oscar Arias

The name may not be familiar, but Oscar Arias may be one of the most impressive individuals on this list. Arias was the president of Costa Rica from 1986 - 1990 and 2006 - 2010. Arias also was the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in dealing with the foreign policy nightmare that was the Central American Crisis. Although Arias has received over fifty honorary degrees (and here I am complaining about all the work it takes to get just one), BU was his starting point.

4. Nina Totenberg

Nina Totenberg might be more easily recognizable by her dulcet tones as she comments on the politics of the Supreme Court or other major legal issues; Totenberg is the award-winning legal correspondent for National Public Radio. She has been called "the creme de la creme" of judicial reporting and "the queen of leaks," earning the latter title by breaking stories regarding sexual harassment allegations against Justice Clarence Thomas, secret court deliberations concerning the Watergate Scandal, and the story that U.S. Supreme Court nominee Douglas Ginsburg had smoked marijuana, leading him to withdraw his name in 1987.

5. Nina Garcia

Nina Garcia, aka reigning queen of all things fashion, went to BU. Garcia has held the post of Fashion Director at both Elle Magazine and Marie Claire Magazine, and is a regular judge on Project Runway. I bet she never wore sweatpants to class.

6. Geena Davis

Geena Davis was the star of all of your favorite 90's movies. Thelma and Louis, Beetlejuice, Stuart Little, and A League of Their Own were all Davis's doing. Fun fact, Davis worked as a window mannequin for Ann Taylor before being signed as a model. Yes, apparently that was a real job. Although extraordinarily talented, Davis lives in infamy for her choice of this grotesque prom-nightmare dress for the 1992 Oscars. Let this be a lesson to us all.

7. Julianne Moore

Yes, BU educated the most perfect ginger of all time. Julianne Moore graced us with her presence from 1979-1983. Moore is a skillful actor, and won the Academy Award for best actress for her performance in Still Alice. This was her first win after having been nominated 4 times in the past. You might recognize Moore from her roles in The Kids are All Right, The Hunger Games, Crazy, Stupid Love, Don Jon, or her repeat appearances in 30 Rock.

8. Keith B. Alexander

If you're vaguely familiar with the NSA surveillance controversy, this name should ring a bell. Let me remind you why. Keith B. Alexander, who graduated BU with an MS in business administration, pursued a career in the military, to high acclaim. Alexander was then appointed the Director of the National Security Agency in 2005. In 2014, he resigned on the heels of the Edward Snowden security revelations. Alexander has been quoted as saying "Yes, I believe it is in the nation's best interest to put all the phone records into a lockbox that we could search."

9. Emily Deschanel

Although her popular TV character Bones attended Northwestern University, Emily Deschanel herself graduated from Boston University with a B.F.A. So, in essence, the fictional world's greatest forensic scientist was sculpted in the same hallowed halls where you cram for your midterms. Think about that next time you need some inspiration to study for bio - WWBD? (What Would Bones Do?)

10. Marisa Tomei

"The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!"

Ok WHAT is in the water at CFA? Marisa Tomei, one of the finest actors of her generation, attended BU for a year before dropping out and pursuing her acting career. Most recognized for her iconic performance in My Cousin Vinny, Tomei has won countless awards for her performances, and was invited to speak at the inauguration of Barack Obama.

11. Pete Souza

Speaking of the POTUS, Pete Souza is tasked with the great responsibility of being the Chief Official White House photographer for President Barack Obama and the director of the White House Photography Office. So if you see an official shot of the President, or any beautiful shot of the White House, chances are that it was shot by a BU alum. Souza has been with Obama since the early days, and has managed to beautifully capture the victories along with the pressure that the President endures. Souza's images are touching, intimate, and powerful. See some of his work here.

12. Jonathan Goldsmith

The Most Interesting Man in the World went to BU. If that's not impressive, I don't know what is. Johnathan Goldsmith is an American actor, best known for his commercials for Dos Equis beer, which have become a hugely popular internet meme. Have fun living up to that standard.

13. Rosie O'Donnell

Rosie O'Donnell... is there anything she hasn't done? O'Donnell is an actor, comedian, author, TV personality, LGBT activist, blogger, magazine editor, and producer. She was the host of The Rosie Show and moderator on The View, as well as acting in movies such as A League of Their Own and Harriet the Spy. Her work history is incredibly impressive, to say the least.

14. Jenna Mourey

"Before I go to work, I like to pump myself up by crying over my Master's degree"

Jenna Mourey, best known by her Youtube pseudonym Jenna Marbles, is an internet sensation. Mourey was at one point the most subscribed channel on Youtube, and is currently in ninth place, with over 15 million subscribers. Mourey went to BU for her Master of Education in Sport Psychology and Counseling. If you've been living under a rock and haven't seen her videos, do yourself a favor and check them out. Girl is hilarious.

15. Jason Alexander

Last, but most certainly not least, is Jason Alexander. Alexander is best known for the role of George Costanza in the hugely successful TV show Seinfeld. While at BU, Alexander had his heart set on classical acting rather than comedy, vying for the role of Hamlet, but a professor put it bluntly after noticing Alexander's physique: "I know your heart and soul are Hamlet, but you will never play Hamlet." I guess we have that professor to thank for the utter gold that he brought to Seinfeld.